Search the forum,

Discuss Loft insulation - a suitable alternative to lagging for copper pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Foxtrot Oscar

Hi all

I have a (currently) un-lagged copper pipe running from my cold cistern in the loft to the pump in the airing cupboard. The problem is that conventional lagging is going to be fiddly, with the pipe passing very close to several joists and support beams.

Can I just cover it with loft insulation instead? If not, how do I cover the gaps where I literally cannot get foam insulation on the pipe, some kind of tape and if so, what?

Many thanks!

loft insulation will help but is not going to do the job, you may get condensation forming and in the summer the water in the pipework may become very warm. Dont forget lagging is not only to stop pipework/tanks freezing, it also helps keep cold pipework/tanks from warming up avoiding condensation and the buildup of bacteria.

You can try to use a hacksaw or stanley knife to adapt the lagging to overcome the points its close to the timbers, if this is not possible spacing the pipework off the timbers with stand off clips will give you room to fit the lagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loft insulation - a suitable alternative to lagging for copper pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock