Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Leaking loft tank - What is best to hold two square lugs inside, while turning nut? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65649

I have 2 x 50 Gallon tanks in loft on 8 x4 sheet hardboard. Leaked through bedroom ceiling from lowest point of hardboard, about two pints. Cleared out all wet insulation, still water between tank and hardboard but none of the pipes seem to be leaking - cant feel any sign of water 3cm above hardboard- all pipe connections above this. Happened two years ago but just stopped for no reason. I am going to attempt to tighten all the internal brass fittings i.e. 22mm, to the outside of the tank nut, I can see through the water that tape was used in the fitting, perhaps its a random drip? Can this happen?What tool is best to hold the two square lugs on the inside of the fitting whilst turning the nut on the outside of the tank. Will I mess it up further?
Cheers
Simon
My first post!

Re: Leaking loft tank - What is best to hold two square lugs inside, while turning nu

I don't believe in random happenings!

It won't hurt to check the tightness of the nuts but I would suggest draining the tanks first just in case there's a crack or split near on of the tappings. Any attempt to tighten the fitting could make it worse.

You can get what is know as a dog drive key to hold the two lugs but a pair of grips works just as well in my experience..

Re: Leaking loft tank - What is best to hold two square lugs inside, while turning nu

Had a customer who had a similar issue. Leaks don't just go away I'm afraid, the customer tried to tighten up fittings and that caused the sediment to stir up in the bottom of the tank, turns out the sediment was packing out a hairline crack in the tank. It was only 1/2 inch at the most but then they came back from a day out to find water pouring through the ceiling! You might need to consider replacing the tanks if you can't trace the leaks from the pipe work and associated tank connections

If it were me I would drain the tank and remove it and check it over and fill it etc downstairs and outside with the outside tap so if it did start leaking it's not through your ceiling.

Another regular cause of water at base of cold tank is actually the overflow leaking the odd time (usually early morning when no water used) and the overflow connection to the tank not tight or done well. Water will run down side of tank unnoticed.
Woodworm can also chew through bottom of plastic tanks if they are in the wood base

Last one I went to had a byelaw 30 kit on but the white plastic outlet of the part 2 valve hadn't been tightened so it was splashing on the brass every time it was filling, which caused splashes on the lid which dripped out.
These drips took a while to fill the insulation jacket but once full it was constant drips that messed up the ceiling below.
I turned up, tightened the part 2 outlet and was back out the door in about 5 minutes.
I'd love a week of jobs like that, I'd only have to work one week a month :party:

Thanks

If its random itsalwaysgoing to be atop connection o/f or around ballvalve which will probably need changing anyway as overflowing at some point

I have at last taken the time to take out both water tanks, and you are right! A hairline crack on the far corner (halfway up on a shelving strengthening corner) which I couldn't get to or see, and another weeping connector between the two tanks, again on far side. I put a new tank back in and now no worries!
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking loft tank - What is best to hold two square lugs inside, while turning nut? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock