Discuss leaking lockshield valve - from spindle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i have a lockshield valve leaking on a first floor rad. I've tightened down the nut and wound in the spindle slightly which seems to have stop water coming out from the top but if this isnt a permanent solution and i have to repack the gland can this be done without draining down the sytem? Its a sealed system if that makes any difference?

Cheers

Darren

Dump pressure, snatch it and repressurise. 10 mins and sorted.

Yes you can repack the gland without a drain but you need to be careful. Its not like a stoptap and can backfire with water everywhere
If not confident then do as Simon suggests

Last edited by a moderator:
Drain down upstairs rads, (if you have microbore pipework then you may get away with just draining the one rad), replace valve.

Takes about 30mins (as long as you have a working drain cock), refill, re-dose and vent

Why muck about trying to repair when a new valve costs so little?

Russ

Maybe dan's talking about a tap cartridge, they have an anti clockwise thread/helix

I had a leaky lock shield. So I made the mistake of turning the valve off first before trying to pack it. This made the spindle pop out. (Gravity fed system) so was able to hold my thumb over it. Had a nightmare trying to screw it back in. Then realised had to turn anti clockwise to wind the spindle into the valve. Keep the lock shield open when you repack the gland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to leaking lockshield valve - from spindle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock