Discuss Landlord Safety Certificates-What do you gas engineers do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hardy1

Hi there just a quick question, regarding landlord safey certificates, when you engineers give landlord certificates out, do you carry out a service at the same time, or just do the min checks required fsd's working pressures, visual on flue e.t.c?, or do you guys do a full strip down?, cause when i ask a engineer 2 go full service and about 4 go just the minimum checks, so a bit confused about it at the moment, what do you engineers do?.

Last edited by a moderator:
An inspection is just that. An inspection

It's the ll responsibility to service the appliance once a year. If that isn't done the cert isn't worth the paper it's written on

so when doing a ll certificates always service the appliance ?

so when doing a ll certificates always service the appliance ?

I wouldn't if I wasn't getting paid for it. But I also inflate my prices to include a service for my own peice of mind so it makes no difference to me

so if a ll rings you up and says i need a ll certficate what do you do ?

tell him its x amount and double the price plus parts if he wants a service, You will get wise guy landlords who say it needs a service also and the thing does not even work

cheers thanks- so if doing a ll certificate what do you guys do ?- not a service.

in actual fact theres little diffence betwen a service and a landlords cert with condensing boilers

I totally disagree with you there, Some boilers like vaillant and bosch need gaskets replacing once the combustion chamber is opened

you dont have to do change gasket on every yearly service , unless you get out of tolerance reading as we all know

all depends what your getting paid for, i will even 't' cut the case for those snobs if the monies there.lol.

point I am making is I wont do a fixed price service as I dont know what or if anything needs replacing and I am not going to drive miles for parts and my time on a fixed price also a special kit is required on some of the bosch models

when i last seeen god sorry my gas inspector , i was about to start stripping down a baxi when he stopped me and said for a llc theres no need to strip down and service if your fga readings are good

Dont want to sound rude, (cant afford another infraction) but what you get is written on the certificate. Basically, you get whats on the can. Read it.
I charge ÂŁ50 for 2 applinces to check. If I were to service, it would be ÂŁ40 plus parts.

you have to change the gasket if you remove the burner tho, going by mi.
and yh you do what it asks on the sheet..

Last edited by a moderator:
when i last seeen god sorry my gas inspector , i was about to start stripping down a baxi when he stopped me and said for a llc theres no need to strip down and service if your fga readings are good

yep i was told that, dont even touch it if its well in the ratio reading as doing more harm that good,looks bit dodgy to a customer but thats what i was told

i still did the service as i had that in price but took on aborad what he said

I took my 1956 bsa trials bike for a check the other week (apparently they call it an MOT) it failed I got a certificate to prove it failed, and they charge me ÂŁ40 for a piece of paper that said its needs this and that.
I was almost crying

gutted for you , I took my car for its mot at a new garage as my old one was moving the guy pulled me up on a ten pence size hole in the floor of the merc , I gave the car to a mate who investigated further and found a hole big enough to put your head through ouch ÂŁ250 later got mot

during a ll i dont do a service unless asked too, the letting agents and private ll are saying im not paying more than ÂŁ50 so they get a inspection as long as everything on the fga and tt is sound then imho its fine

I totally disagree with you there, Some boilers like vaillant and bosch need gaskets replacing once the combustion chamber is opened

yes but the problem will only arise IF you split the combustion chamber, a lot of boilers require readings to be taken for the service and IF they are within tolerance then the service is complete, then the safety check kicks in by checking the gas carcass and other appliances etc

I do what it says on the packet...a inspection of the appliances and installation.........if boiler requires a service ,I put on report,which works out well as every boiler officially requires servicing every year,so agents who follow recommendations then pay me to go back and service

Surprisingly I do offer a combined reduced rate for service and inspection at same time and they do not take it,they have gsr done then contact l/l to get permission for service,this also allows me to see what is needed,seals,diaphragms ect ,so probably getting a better service in total ,as replace perishables as well

I can never understand why law says its compulsory for a landlord to issue safety cert for tennants but yet apparenttly a fifth of u.k homes have gas appliances that are a.r or i.d . So why not make it compulsory by law to have all gas appliances yearly serviced ???

I can never understand why law says its compulsory for a landlord to issue safety cert for tennants but yet apparenttly a fifth of u.k homes have gas appliances that are a.r or i.d . So why not make it compulsory by law to have all gas appliances yearly serviced ???

its all about responsibility of a "service" provided, if you rent a house it needs to be checked as safe, hire a sthill saw it needs to be checked before you take it out, hire a car its the same, but now buy the 3 items and the responsibility shifts, it will NEVER become mandatory to service every gas appliance yearly because there are more private owner voters than there are gas engineers

I understand that its a service provided has to be health safety checked ,however how can you have an MOT on cars as a basic fit for use on road test when god knows how many dodgy appliances are out there ?? Surely its in everyones interest and govt's to implent such a law.

I understand that its a service provided has to be health safety checked ,however how can you have an MOT on cars as a basic fit for use on road test when god knows how many dodgy appliances are out there ?? Surely its in everyones interest and govt's to implent such a law.

how many people die each year from gas incidents? thats what the bean counters will look at, and the MP's will not risk the backlash from voters by pushing it through, as other trades etc would say if they need to pay for their boiler to be checked the house electrics should be checked as well, and we will all ask how many people die in electrical fires every year, and if it isnt too many we wont want to pay for an electrician to check our electrics

Why do councills and landlords have to get them serviced each year?
I know its because they are landlords, but why do they have to??
Because unserviced appliances kill people, no other reason. Its not to prolong the life of the appliance, because why make a landlord with 1 home to rent have it done too.
So yes they should be made to be serviced each year, as a parent you are in the same boat as a landlord, as you are responsible for the safety of people in the house, you are endangering the lives of your children or spouse etc.

Just safety check, Trace gas pipe work if any leak, check that all safety components functioning correctly , ventilation requirement if apply,
...................If you want your boiler have a long life you pay for service as well but it your choice. U can fail an inspection if your boiler is poor condition becourse of lack of service.

Depending on which report but upto 50 people die a year in the u.k from carbon monoxide poisioning (thats if symptoms are diagnosed correctly).
On top of that there are thousands (probably alot more)in the u.k alone suffering from undiagnosed symptoms,However many gas appliances are installed in the u.k you need to work out a fifth of that amoiunt which are immediately dangerous.Now i am far from a mathmatician but thats hell of alot of appliances and all i have seen this winter is nothing from gas safe on the news or in the media about these dangers and reccomends a service /safety check.

I have seen health awareness reports in papers and on the news about the dangers but the main watchdog gas safe ,,,,,not alot !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord Safety Certificates-What do you gas engineers do? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock