Search the forum,

Discuss Jobs!!! jobs!!!..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

psk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
:hanged: As the emoticion states... i need more jobs, contracts around london otherwise contemplating suicide lol.

Could you tell me where to get servicing, breakdown jobs or contracts from?

Thanks

Customers?

Easy to be flippant but it is difficult in some areas from what I can make out.

It took me a good while to get going (after an initial six months of walking into all sorts of jobs). Marketing is the key and in this game your best marketing is recommendation (having done a good job, at reasonable/good quality and at a fair price).

Getting to this stage is quite hard work (putting cards through doors, creating good and effective adverts in the right places, etc).

I was once taught that the best way to market was to think of your typical customer. Age, status, gender, life style and other things like this. For example, young family, single person, elderly, and so on. You won't meet or see many of the elderly outside the school gates or, as a result, reading the school magazine. Single people won't read magazines like The Lady or Cross Stitch. (Okay, there are exceptions!)

Once you've zeroed in on your typical customer you then taylor your advertising to suit and to capture what they read, listen to, etc. Then you create a budget and advertising campaign geared to gaining these customers - not too many messages on the advert as it's too confusing. Just one or two messages either promoting your name, a discount scheme you're offering or something like that.

It's hard work though - nothing's easy in this life.

Hope things pick up quickly for you.

Could advertise a pre winter special '10% of all services before end of September' or '£5.00 off with advert before 1st October'. If people think they are getting a deal they might just snatch your hand off. I went to look at a bathroom that is less then a year old and needs re-doing. Bottom line was that the cust got somebody in offering oap discount, didn't get any other quote, small bathroom, plastic cladding, took 5 days for two young lads 'plumbers' and an experienced :) hand for 2 1/2 days. They charged, labour only, wait for it, £750. It's absolutely shocking, but my point is the customer was drawn to the 'oap' offer.

12 1/2 man days. To strip out bath, wc, basin and towel rail. Fit a shower tray (900 quad), move towel rail pipes to opposite wall (stud walls), plastic clad walls (no corner beads or edge strips round windows, butts up to coving but looks like a set of steps), new basin (wrong trap and 15mm speedfit squeezing out all over), wc about 4" off of wall (no reason for this as its an angled pan conn) pipe boxing that falls off when you flush the crapper, towel rail not straight, re used mira excel shower that was over the bath (leaked through ceiling) and she can only use the shower on half because the tray fills up (the waste pipe from the shower runs up hill). Lets just say I have heard these clowns names and 'court' used in the same sentence.

..............and all for the princely sum of £750.

Last edited:
that is shocking, paying more for a bunch of useless cowboys when you could of had a professional do it for less

12 1/2 man days. To strip out bath, wc, basin and towel rail. Fit a shower tray (900 quad), move towel rail pipes to opposite wall (stud walls), plastic clad walls (no corner beads or edge strips round windows, butts up to coving but looks like a set of steps), new basin (wrong trap and 15mm speedfit squeezing out all over), wc about 4" off of wall (no reason for this as its an angled pan conn) pipe boxing that falls off when you flush the crapper, towel rail not straight, re used mira excel shower that was over the bath (leaked through ceiling) and she can only use the shower on half because the tray fills up (the waste pipe from the shower runs up hill). Lets just say I have heard these clowns names and 'court' used in the same sentence.

..............and all for the princely sum of £750.

Were they called Bodgit & Scarper?

Were they called Bodgit & Scarper?

It was either that or 'Rush and Bodgit'. Had a go at the cust about it as well, she paid up before the job was complete and didn't get them back to sort stuff out. I will say that the said company actually once called me in to their own home to change a heating pump as 'she' had had somebody in that day changing a radiator, hadn't filled the system back up because he was leaving on holiday that evening and burnt out the pump. I beat a hasty retreat with a few choice words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jobs!!! jobs!!!..... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd, London. Job Description: Problem: The boiler is not providing heating under normal conditions, although hot water supply is fine. Interestingly...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently qualified as a gas engineer , for the time i was training at the college , i was working as a apprentice for about 6 months. For these 6 months i was assisting on many types of jobs including basic plumbing jobs like gas runs, taps and toilet installs but majority focused on...
Replies
Views
I run a small plumbing and heating company. I am looking for a commercial gas engineer to help out with a few call outs, servicing, safety checks etc. Most work around London, Kent, Surrey, Sussex area. Ideally looking for someone self employed or another small business who could work...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock