Search the forum,

Discuss British Gas 330+ SE flashing then F9 in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

abc_plumb

Gas Engineer
Just been to a nightmare of a job!
Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11)
It's a Glow Worm boiler.

The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting.

After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to reset the service reminder, as it's not mentioned anywhere in the manual. After waiting 30mins on the phone, going through different codes I've been left with F9 - Bar fault now flashing.

The GW tech said it was a software issue, which means the pcb needs replacing.... how can resetting a service reminder cause a software issue. The worse this is I had to explain to the customer that, the boiler was working before I arrived but now I've spent 4 hours and serviced it and it's not working.

Have anyone had this issue?

This is a heat only boiler but BG turned it into a system boiler but with without using the system boiler kit which comes with a pressure sensor.

What ia strange is, I remember only 2 modes on this boiler, radiator sign and off.
After speaking to GW tech and him getting me to do factory reset the boiler has 3 modes now...... Off , Rads and Tap symbol . Which seems to be the pcb has switched to a combi boiler.

Any help would b3 much appreciated.

Did you turn the boiler off at the mains eg power ?

Yes I did, but when I turned it back on the boiler was flashing the same SE code.
The customer did confirm the SE code has been flashing for well over a year.

They don’t like being turned off hence the fault code after se was reset you never turn a gloworm or vaillant off

I only followed what the tech guy said to do! What an expensive mistake 😫

Bet your wishing you left the se on now :D

Tbh always explain to the customer turning the power off may cause the boiler not to turn back on again etc

Bet your wishing you left the se on now :D

Tbh always explain to the customer turning the power off may cause the boiler not to turn back on again etc
I was wishing I never did the service!

I still can't understand how a boiler can work fine with a SE code yet by trying to remove it it develops another different fault.
Or it starts to think it is a combi boiler🤷🏽‍♂️

Glow worm such pile of 💩

TBH - Intrigued by SC's post.
How can there be boilers available that don't like the power being turned off.
Nothing against SC, but how can a boiler be so delicate that it can't stand power being cut off and then throwing a fault causing a PCB replacement?
Or having to warn a customer, that if you turn the power off to a boiler to work on it safely, that power disconnection may cause the boiler to fault on re start and need more parts.

Great way to make Plumber look like rogues in the eyes of customers.
Manufacturers don't care, they sell more spare parts and don't deal with customers face to face.

Had one over here recently where the boiler supplier wouldn't honour their warranty because the warranty card had not been returned to them.
This company wants you to post the warranty card to them - they don't have an online portal for you to fill out.
Warrant card lost in mail = no warranty - according to them.
Customer now paying for repairs for a 3 month old boiler.......more to come on this one

Nothing against SC, but how can a boiler be so delicate that it can't stand power being cut off and then throwing a fault causing a PCB replacement?
Or having to warn a customer, that if you turn the power off to a boiler to work on it safely, that power disconnection may cause the boiler to fault on re start and need more parts.

Manufacturers don't care, they sell more spare parts and don't deal with customers face to face.

Had one over here recently where the boiler supplier wouldn't honour their warranty because the warranty card had not been returned to them.
This company wants you to post the warranty card to them - they don't have an online portal for you to fill out.
Customer now paying for repairs for a 3 month old boiler.......more to come on this one
It's ridiculous, I've learnt my lesson that's for sure. I'll take the chance of not turning the power off now after warning the customer.

I've just found out the price of the pcb £282, also not in stock so I have to wait!

It can be anything from a dry joint on the board to the brains being fried on start up you can get by with a hair dryer but lasts less than a week etc

Forgot to update this, so here I am.
Hopefuly it helps someone out there.

The main pcb was not the issue🤦🏽‍♂️
It was the smaller display board which deals with the software side of things.

Also very important to set the correct code of the boiler to the board.

Or better stay way from this pile of 💩

Yep change both at the same time

Reply to British Gas 330+ SE flashing then F9 in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock