Search the forum,

Discuss Sub contract vs employed (newly qualified) in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've recently qualified as a gas engineer , for the time i was training at the college , i was working as a apprentice for about 6 months. For these 6 months i was assisting on many types of jobs including basic plumbing jobs like gas runs, taps and toilet installs but majority focused on boiler breakdowns and installs. I wanted to know would it be best for me to go employed and gain experience because i'm very new. If you recommend so , can you tell which companys/firms are best to work for from previous experience. I have also been given a option to subcontract with a company who offer basic gas services, gas certs and breakdowns but all expenses such as fuel etc will be on me. So i'm kind of confused. Just to reinstate i am new but have basic experience with working with boilers, so please give me the best advice.

thanks

The problem you wil have on gas breakdowns its lack of knowledge and no-one you can turn to for help.
You need to be employed and have the support of others more experienced.

The problem you wil have on gas breakdowns its lack of knowledge and no-one you can turn to for help.
You need to be employed and have the support of others more experienced.
I agree, it will be a hard slog going out by yourself at this stage.

Get some experience with a safety net behind you and then in the future you can go alone.

Where in London are you?

Try to think about what type of work you want to be doing five/ten years down the line (domestic / commercial, plumbing / heating / gas, renewables, etc.) and try and get employment that will give you experience and further training in that area. If it's an area where self-employment is viable then aim to pick up some basic business skills (marketing, finance / accounts, planning, etc.) along the way.

Hi chuck,

Thanks for the reply, sorry i didn't mention what i was looking to do down the line. I'm aiming to become self-employed , working in domestic then moving to commercial. Due to my age factor; I'm 20 and by the looks of gas coming to a end by 2026, it doesn't necessarily mean all gas works will come to a end due the existing installations etc etc . This means I will still work with gas but want to move on renewable energy. This primarily why i want to work for boiler manufactures e.g. baxi , since they are working on renewable which will essentially give me a head start.

Hi chuck,

Thanks for the reply, sorry i didn't mention what i was looking to do down the line. I'm aiming to become self-employed , working in domestic then moving to commercial. Due to my age factor; I'm 20 and by the looks of gas coming to a end by 2026, it doesn't necessarily mean all gas works will come to a end due the existing installations etc etc . This means I will still work with gas but want to move on renewable energy. This primarily why i want to work for boiler manufactures e.g. baxi , since they are working on renewable which will essentially give me a head start.

There will still be gas boilers installed after 2026, we’re no where near the stage that we can stop using gas.

You’re 20 years old. You’ve no need to rush to self employed. The gains you can make at your age working with experienced people are huge, as the experience will last your whole working career.

I had an apprentice that came to me after a quick gas college gas course. He was qualified to fit a boiler but knew Damn all about anything else.

Didn’t have a good understanding about heating/domestic water systems. Couldn’t fault find a broken pump/zone valve/vented system etc.

There is so much more to the gas ‘industry’, than gas. The gas part is tiny.

Not to Rubbish on your current achievement/s (you’ve done great to get qualified at your age, it shows you have the potential to be great), but with your current experience level, you’d likely fail at efficiently fault finding 80%+ boiler/heating system breakdowns.

I can see you want to learn as you’re asking for advice, so don’t take my words to heart and stop to progressing. I reckon you need a minimum of a year experience (and that’s pushing it, ideally 3), before going by yourself.

My advice is not to chase the money. At your age and experience level support is invaluable. Working under more experienced engineers may feel like your being held back but that experience will be invaluable later on.

There will still be gas boilers installed after 2026, we’re no where near the stage that we can stop using gas.

You’re 20 years old. You’ve no need to rush to self employed. The gains you can make at your age working with experienced people are huge, as the experience will last your whole working career.

I had an apprentice that came to me after a quick gas college gas course. He was qualified to fit a boiler but knew Damn all about anything else.

Didn’t have a good understanding about heating/domestic water systems. Couldn’t fault find a broken pump/zone valve/vented system etc.

There is so much more to the gas ‘industry’, than gas. The gas part is tiny.

Not to Rubbish on your current achievement/s (you’ve done great to get qualified at your age, it shows you have the potential to be great), but with your current experience level, you’d likely fail at efficiently fault finding 80%+ boiler/heating system breakdowns.

I can see you want to learn as you’re asking for advice, so don’t take my words to heart and stop to progressing. I reckon you need a minimum of a year experience (and that’s pushing it, ideally 3), before going by yourself.
My advice is not to chase the money. At your age and experience level support is invaluable. Working under more experienced engineers may feel like your being held back but that experience will be invaluable later on.
Thanks for the reply guys

I agree 100% there is a great deal to learn and to pick up because i'm really unexperienced. But The only tradesman or person i can go with at the moment has only been qualified for 2 years. The jobs he comes across i diagnose alongside with him so as funny as it sounds i learn only when he comes across something new aswell. There is another man i could go work as a apprentice but he just does installs.

Reply to Sub contract vs employed (newly qualified) in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi guys, any meter installers about? im looking to complete a course to get CCN1 qualified and met1 qualified so I can look at becoming a smart meter installer. once qualified all employers seem to want 6 -12 months experience as a meter fitter. How do you guys gain the first years...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m looking for any gas engineers vacancies in the north west if any engineers/companies can help me out. I have just completed an Managed Learning Program gas diploma and have passed my ACS for CCN1 and CENWAT with Hybrid Technical Services in Aintree Liverpool that I funded myself. I will...
Replies
Views
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools transport etc. good day rates paid. potential for more work after this job. please get in touch. Regards Alex
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Recently had a new heating system and unvented hot-water cylinder installed (conversion from vented with tank). Everything is working fine despite the installation being rushed at times. The 'main' guy (not the installer) from the company I used (with very good ratings) - can work with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock