Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a reason drain would be loose fit to soil stack? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

full disclosure, I am a DIYer.

When reinstalling a sink after having it out to refloor, the waste pipe came disconnected from the soil stack.

On inspection it seems to be a solvent weld fitting, but doesn't seem to have been solvent welded. It has been like that since the house was built 15 years ago with no apparent leaks.

is there a good reason it wouldn’t have been, or should I solvent weld it back on?

pic of the soil stack fitting attached.

thanks in advance

chris

Attachments

• 539DF621-6A9A-4EFF-8431-7ED44E740AA5.jpeg
    539DF621-6A9A-4EFF-8431-7ED44E740AA5.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 21
Looks like a cut bit of pipe (needs deburring) connected to a solvent-weld socket on the pipe you have removed? Solvent weld fittings should always be glued. Perhaps it was a primitive method of allowing the pipe to be removed to clear potential blockages?

Looks like a cut bit of pipe (needs deburring) connected to a solvent-weld socket on the pipe you have removed? Solvent weld fittings should always be glued. Perhaps it was a primitive method of allowing the pipe to be removed to clear potential blockages?
Hi Ric

Thank you for the reply.

Yes a solvent weld fitting I think - see additional picture attached.

On closer inspection it looks like it may well have been leaking all that time… a lot of gunk on the end of the connection - better picture attached.

Presumably correct course of action would be to solvent weld on, or do you think I different fitting type?

Would be a rubbish method for deblocking anyway, as it is boxed in! I had to cut some extra out to get to it, which is fine as we have raised the floor and will all be hidden by new boxing anyway.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 0CB8E0A1-7AC1-404D-96FD-A1843A99407F.jpeg
    0CB8E0A1-7AC1-404D-96FD-A1843A99407F.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 13
  • E2A520C6-E0D4-4C28-A239-DEF6C9D3D0C1.jpeg
    E2A520C6-E0D4-4C28-A239-DEF6C9D3D0C1.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 12
On inspection it seems to be a solvent weld fitting, but doesn't seem to have been solvent welded. It has been like that since the house was built 15 years ago with no apparent leaks.
Joints in drains should be airtight and proved with a pressure test. You've just found some sloppy workmanship; there was plenty of it around in 2006.

I used to do commercial buildings where everything was solvent weld.
Over the years I've found Solvent joints not glued and not leaking after many years.
I've found plenty of solvent joints with some glue that pull apart easy.
Also some solvent joints that had clearly been leaking from day 1 of install and some had self sealed with grease.

Re the joint, Yes it needs glueing as it's almost a guarantee it'll leak now if you don't. (Mr Sod or Mr Murphy will confirm that)

Reply to Is there a reason drain would be loose fit to soil stack? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock