Discuss Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A serious question now! how many, as a percentage use copper pipe on a job? I am old school and remember plumbers bringing 10 pipes all of different sizes down to a boiler room with sets sweeping beautifully, each pipe exactly the same distance from the other. Have not seen that beautiful attention to detail for a long time. I know you can say the same for electricians so i am not having a go at you. Would just like to know if it is only "old school" that still do it or do new boys still have a pride in this sort of work?

I should invite you to one of my jobs then. I still do it and pass the skills and pride in what they can do to my apprentices but i've got a (hard built) market where they will pay for quality. There are a few of us left who take a pride in what we do but like all trades we are a dying breed.
It is all down to money and lack of skills and most people don't care what is fitted as long as it works. Most customers, especially the younger generation wouldn't know quality workmanship if it bit them on the rse and tradesmen mainly want in and out.

A bit like when was the last time i saw a spark do a house in conduit ....not in the past 20 years at least. I knew a few sparks who could shame most plumbers with a bender.

Quality work is expensive.

I agree quality work is not cheap - or quick!

Having said that the cost to make new pipe runs under the floor in copper/soldered will almost be 10 times more expensive than doing it in John Guest - which has a 5 year guarnentee by the way!

I know many time served plumbers who will do this, and it is not just newbees 'bodge jobbing' about.

How much more labour is it to solder runs of copper in - where no one will see its beauty?!?

OK it may be different on a new build where you have easy access whilst doing the 1st fix. In an old house however, the job is much more problematic . . .

Bottom line is - I have to compete with many cowboy offering over the top prices. I am pricey enough as it is in comparison. If I did everything I did in copper i would price myself out of the market!!!!!

Food for thought . . .

The one thing I love about the plumbing industry is the snobbery it breeds and having been in the industry for over 30 years nothing seems to have changed, even when I got into this trade you still people proffessing to be "I'm old school" and I do it this way... The plumbing industry evolves and changes over time new materials come onto the market you just need to keep up to date and move with the times, being "old school" can and does give you bad working habbits, it certainly dosen't make you any better than being a newly trained plumber, yes you may have more experience but that is where the "I'm better than you at plumbing" ends. Otherwise if old school plumbing was so much better than modern day plumbing we'd all still be running lead pipe work everywhere. I tend to laugh when someone say's I'm old school it generally means their be retiring soon......

If you are the practical sort and have attention to accuracy have you considered training as a joiner? There's a lot more work available in this field for GOOD QUALITY joiners (there's a lot of bodgers around but I struggle getting a good joiner). Plumbing is quiet but my joiner always seems busy.

Having said that the cost to make new pipe runs under the floor in copper/soldered will almost be 10 times more expensive than doing it in John Guest - which has a 5 year guarnentee by the way!

Polyplumb has a 25 year guarantee. Would never use JG personally as it's not as robust.

The one thing I love about the plumbing industry is the snobbery it breeds and having been in the industry for over 30 years nothing seems to have changed, even when I got into this trade you still people proffessing to be "I'm old school" and I do it this way... The plumbing industry evolves and changes over time new materials come onto the market you just need to keep up to date and move with the times, being "old school" can and does give you bad working habbits, it certainly dosen't make you any better than being a newly trained plumber, yes you may have more experience but that is where the "I'm better than you at plumbing" ends. Otherwise if old school plumbing was so much better than modern day plumbing we'd all still be running lead pipe work everywhere. I tend to laugh when someone say's I'm old school it generally means their be retiring soon......
It's no good giving a catty comment to another cat!:34:

this is right on the money!

Jesus, are we plumbers or peers of the realm? Where is the unity? This forum is much more forgiving than others I have been on (Screwfix!) but when I hear things like 'I hate tap flexis' and 'everyone who install plastic is a cowboy' then it does make me wonder . . .

Lead pipework is crap. We advance technology to improve things and the world around us.

There are too many people stuck in the past these days - and plumbers seem to be no exception to this rule!

My preference for fitting copper is just that, my preference because imo it is a better finished job. It has nothing to do with evolving technologies.
I use plastics from time to time and sometimes there is no option but to use it e.g. underfloor heating, cabling on new builds or drops inside walls) but but that doesn't make it better, just the best or only practicable choice for the job.
MLC is different. I have used that many times and like it. The biggest problem with plastic is it is rarely fitted properly and 90% of it looks like a dog pyshin in the snow.
It is a bit like saying i prefer blondes but a brunette is better than a wa nk.
Whatever anyone else fits or how they fit it is up to them. I don't need to look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently working through a at home course compete with practical training at a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock