Discuss Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started my own plumbing business just over 3 years ago when i left the military, it was hard to start with but now i have a good reputation with in my area. i started out with small job tap WC fitting etc and now have moved on to all aspects of plumbing, the work is out there. i would say think about it and what you would like to earn from it.i was lucky as i started my training C&Gs in the military about 4 years before leaving! Its hard to start with but well worth it.

Looking at it from a sub-contracting point of view not private domestic market. When going for site work (cold calling as your not connected to somebody in the trade) Qualifications do count but only as a foot in the door. You will get a job in the morning through an agency but if you are not up to standard you will be out of work before lunchtime. You will be thrown in with some experienced tradesmen that may not know your trade but know enough if your c*ap and the foreman will more likely have 25+ years experience and has seen it all. So dont lie on your CV and try and bs. So many companies have cut there workforce to the bone and will go to an agency to temp plug the gaps, so there is a slim oppurtunity to get work and dont expect the lads to be thrilled to see you when you turn up. I know a lad (26) that got on site through being a labourer and got a chippy apprenticeship because he grafted, kept his head down and was keen to learn.

why don't you do some research and train in a field that really is in demand!

plumbing was in demand before thousands of new trainees flooded the market, and now there are too many guys fighting over the same jobs. How many times I get people trying to get bargain prices on the smallest of jobs. Then you hear that 'someone' had quoted to fit that washing machine for £20, apparently!

Believe me don't bother - don't get me wrong I do love plumbing. However there is not enough work so even I am looking to move out of the trade.

Plus no one tells you how stressful it is running your own business and dealing with irate customers, getting stung for money and doing your own accounts - right guys?!!!

The grass always looks greener from further away - and then you realise it is covered with the same crap you find everywhere . . .

Hi, first thanks for reading.

I'm 26 and looking for a trade, like a lot of people I think Plumbers are in such demand they can choose their own hours and write their own cheques but I've been reading a lot of comments (some on this site) about an over saturation in the market going back to 2008 and that Plumbers were last in short supply in 2004.

Id be looking to train through one of the new(ish) style home study/practical courses due to my age/financial commitments.

Also, is it true that this route is a waste of time and you cannot just get yourself a van and go self employed with these courses as I have imagined?

Any comments would be welcome.
Don't pay for it, I did not I went to a local college, but just cause you are 26 does not mean you cannot get an apprenticeship, Likes of SSE Scottish and southern electric take on apprentices your age. I'm 38 and just passed my CCN1 last week and doing the appliance acs qualifications over the next 2 days.

experienced guys are struggling to a decent wage, there has been a wage fall over the past five years. it beats min wage but you won't be earning 20 quid an hour, more like £8-£12.

Before you go anywhere and pay for it. go to a college that does this speak to a lecturer. Then go ring up some employers and ask to do work experience/placement to see if it is you before spending mega wonga. Try apprenticeships first.

Last edited:
If I had my time over (I'm retired with lots of 20/20 hindsight) and was 26 years of age I would become a politician. Developed into the best job on the planet. Not a single politician has been binned nor lost any money over the almighty political disasters causing our current dire national economic position. If you can't be a politician, be a banker!

Just an update on this.

New research data into demand for plumbing/electrical jobs has been released.

Scroll through the section on building engineering services, for your area, and you can assess the number of vacancies for plumbing/electrical, compared to the number of people doing courses.

http://www.local.gov.uk/c/document_...bfd-dd2b-4513-ac22-8998ebbdc0a1&groupId=10171

The link is from an article (below) which suggests that skills shortages in particular areas such as plumbing, may be regional. Hence in some areas there is an over-supply and in others not so, according to the data.

Media releases | Local Government Association

Sample example:

All ages

16 to 18-year-olds

Occupation / sector

Vacancies

FE and skills achievements

Vacancies per skills achievement

FE and skills achievements

Vacancies per skills achievement

Automotive industries

Building services engineering (electrotechnical, plumbing etc)

Construction

Hence, there are, according to the data, more jobs, than there are people doing the courses - however, one must consider those qualified people from previous years, and those who have been laid-off, also looking for work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well according to this list (if i am reading it right) we in the south west have more vacancies than London ! who puts all these rubbish figures togeather ? More to the point how much do they get paid for doing it ?? More than we earn thats for sure !!

Well according to this list (if i am reading it right) we in the south west have more vacancies than London ! who puts all these rubbish figures togeather ? More to the point how much do they get paid for doing it ?? More than we earn thats for sure !!

I think you make a fair comment.

But, statistics on plumbing training have not been easily available over the last decade - or the stats available have been less than complete or awarding bodies like City and Guilds stopped publishing their annual achievment lists - the last one in 2008 saw 48,000 doing technical certificates in plumbing that year (silence from then-on).

This list is less than complete, but it makes a mockery of sector skills statistics in their SQS sector needs analysis (summitskills 2010), which predicted that around 3,000 plumbers would be needed annually between 2005 and 2010.

The document lists 39,740 skills achievements for plumbing and electrical, which still suggests an over-supply. In addition, we don't have the statistics for private providers or for ***mulative affects of 'over-supply' in previous years (those still looking for work).

But, for those thinking of entering plumbing, it gives a quick idea, of what vacancies have been advertised.

And...contrary to my assertion that there is an oversupply in the plumbing industry, there could be pockets of opportunity, according to the research published.

It's always a good time to train to be a tradesman.
It's just a carp time for getting employment as one!

anyone can buy a van and write plumber on it and theres no laws to stop them and from working as a plumber without qualifications and as clanger said level 2 isnt really worth much and it will take you 5-6 years get ur level 3 if u can find employment, if i was in your situation i would be looking at goin straight for my gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently working through a at home course compete with practical training at a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock