Discuss Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zeke4

Hi, first thanks for reading.

I'm 26 and looking for a trade, like a lot of people I think Plumbers are in such demand they can choose their own hours and write their own cheques but I've been reading a lot of comments (some on this site) about an over saturation in the market going back to 2008 and that Plumbers were last in short supply in 2004.

Id be looking to train through one of the new(ish) style home study/practical courses due to my age/financial commitments.

Also, is it true that this route is a waste of time and you cannot just get yourself a van and go self employed with these courses as I have imagined?

Any comments would be welcome.

Also, is it true that this route is a waste of time and you cannot just get yourself a van and go self employed with these courses as I have imagined?
Yes. It takes years to get established and even if you do, it can take even more years to make a living.

Don't believe the false promises made by these training courses, they are misleading and should be banned for false advertising.

agree with above, however it is better to be doing something then nothing and its the same no matter what you want to do, you need to have an apprenticeship for anything, electrical, plastering, hairdressing, i.e.

The only other option is to go college get an o level, get a degree and spend thousands on going to UNI.

If i was you

1. Sit down and decide what sort of person you are, would you prefer to be sat in an office all day or hands on tools every day
2. then if you decide hands on, decide what you want to do, are you a mathematically challenged person? if so, plastering or tiling or painting would be easier, if you are competent in maths then plumbing or electrical
3. what do you want to achieve in life, is it to be your own boss, run a business or is it to be in a steady job, ticking along, getting promoted becoming manager and eventually boss
4. decide what you want to do, if its plumbing or electrical or anything else

If you still want to be a plumber or electrician, remember the Fast track courses are just that "course" they do not teach you tricks of the trade, they do not make you competent, they simply give you the basic knowledge of doing the job, you will then need to work with somebody (or go self employed and take a chance on flooding somebodys house or blowing things up) it will take 5 years before you are fully qualified and competent in most peoples eyes.

It will be hard work whichever route you take, if apprenticeship you will only get £100 a week, if self employed you will barely get that first few years.

Nothing is easy, especially in plumbing.

Hello Zeke4,:welcome:
If you really want to do anything and have the determination then in the long run it will work out.

but you only need to look how many posts come up regularly on the forum from people who have already studied to whatever level, be it through a fast track course or at college for 2 or 4 years. offering to work for nothing to get experience, you would think that they would be inundated with calls of work. The reality is quite different.

I re trained aged 35 with a big mortgage etc.. I did a fast trak course which was rubbish but I went for small jobs Taps,leaking wastes the sort of stuff no else wants. Its a hard market place but 4 years in I am getting more and more repeat work. I am now doing my gas safe but you need to believe in yourself and Have something else to fall back on when times are hard. Dont take the quick route to gas it will be to much, take your time build your knowledge and 5 years times you will make a decent living. Good luck

like a lot of people I think Plumbers are in such demand they can choose their own hours and write their own cheques

Don't believe all you read in the papers or gov propaganda. What does some halfwit wearing a suit, sitting behind a desk know about the realities of plumbing other than he can't get one NOW because believe it or not we plan 90% of our work, or we used to. The propaganda must have worked because there are now plenty plumbers sitting watching Jeremy Kyle hoping the phone rings

but I've been reading a lot of comments (some on this site) about an over saturation in the market going back to 2008 and that Plumbers were last in short supply in 2004.

2004 would be about right. Things were booming in the construction industry, everyone was spending money they didn't have and the gates had been opened to the Poles and others who were welcomed with open arms to fill the void left by the qualified guys working flat out.
Everyone with a half brain except the politicians could see that was never going to last (well they probably could but didn't dare too change things) and by 2008 the river Styx burst its banks and the ferryman demanded payment.
The bubble burst big time. Look up plumbing jobs on the job centre website and stare in awe at the wage rates being offered. Free market economy and supply and demand dictates the rates being offered! Taking a paper round would pay better than some of those.

Id be looking to train through one of the new(ish) style home study/practical courses due to my age/financial commitments.

Loads of experience to be gained doing that. How much are you planning on paying for this if i'm not being too intrusive?

Well what do you think? Really? Would being good at Call of Duty make you a soldier if i gave you a real gun?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a C&G/NVQ level 1-2 course and started it in September. The course was gov funded so i didn't have to pay anything, i only have one assessment left before i'm qualified. Each assessment you do you have to write a detailed description of the task. Also you have to learn maths, that's how to work out circumferences, pi, radius and intensity of water pressure etc and scientific principles, a lot of the students on my course came unstuck on plumbing principles(the maths/science side) So if you don't like writing or maths then this is not for you. There are twelve exam subjects in total that you have to pass before you do any practical lessons. I can't understand how any training centre's can pass people in two months, so i would give any of these courses a wide berth. As for gaining work experience i think you have to be prepared to work for free to gain experience and then when you've passed and qualified you may first have to work as a plumbers mate. also think about doing level 3 and gas after you've qualified because being gas safe registered seems to be the best option in having a successful and lasting career in this trade.

There has never been a worse time to be a plumber.

Working class jobs without a degree will get you minimum wage. Government have turned a blind eye to the plumbing industry, because colleges are making £millions and creating growth, jobs and 'mythical' futures for people [the working class have not caught on to this wheeze yet].

Tutors, career guidance and course vendors will say that there is a demand, or a skill shortage - they are not telling lies - but, there is always a skill shortage, because the government say "skills = growth". Hence, we can never have enough growth, so we can never have enough skills. So there we have the meaning of the skills shortage, and it does not mean there is a demand for work, it just creates statistics for economic theories like 'human capital' - see the Wolf Review 2011 for more on this. Wolf pointed out that there is already an oversupply of labour with intermediate qualifications NVQ3/4 in the UK.

There are other ways the media use 'skill shortages' such as reporting that youngsters cannot come into the trade anymore, because of the dearth of qualified workers looking for jobs, and willing to work for near minimum wage. Thus, the headlines of 'young people not entering trade' because of lack of opportunity - next headline - not enough young people coming into plumbing!

If you are going to pay to learn something, then get a degree. Although you have to pay back the loan, a degree has a 'lifetime currency' so it will always help on your cv to get jobs anywhere in the world. Note: vocational quals have dubious currency - you will have to re-sit every 5 years and qualifications up to NVQ level 2 have no economic value at all (Wolf Review 2011). Contact the workers education association for help with getting onto a degree pathway.

If you get an 'employed' apprenticeship with an employer, it is different, and your vocational qualifications suddenly become valuable at level 3 and above. Without the apprenticeship, you are getting something that will not be recognised as a qualification [technical certificates done in 12 weeks, a year, or two years are not identified as having any value, according to employers].

During my 30 year career as a plumber, my qualifications have meant nothing. They do not get me more work, nor do the inform the customer that I am capable, or offer a better service than the other guy, who did six weeks. Hence, no point in getting a qual that people just don't give a damn about.

Finally, imagine being a job you love and doing the job to the best of your ability - you use the best materials, and work to high standards. Then imagine competing against and being undercut by a continual supply of cheap labour from europe, or from operatives from six week training courses who want to work for free. Do you want to get to the top of your game, for this to happen? In addition, if there are no barriers to entry, e.g. no experience needed, then anyone, at anytime can set up in business and make things difficult for your business.

Consider my advice and go for the degree at all costs, and avoid anything with 'vocational' in it.

Last edited:
If you want a trade, i'd suggest something like a chippy (not with the fish, the wood)

It seems to go un noticed as it doesn't have the glitzy price tag associated to it. Currently jobs around my way for carpenters/joiners are still £12-14 per hr.

Plumbers seem worst hit, followed by electricians but the other trades seem to be OK, it's quiet for everyone don't get me wrong, but you don't seem to have hundreds queued up to become a chippy with a £50k+ salary tag attached.

It's actually all about what you need. If you need to pay a mortgage, send your kids to school and keep the wife in her fineries you'd be mental to try this route. If, like me, you want something that pays quite a bit better than minimum wage and has hours that need not place a big drain on your time and are prepared to wait 4 or 5 years to gain even that much then I'd say go for it. Unless you live in my town in which case don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it a bad time to train to be a Plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views
Hi guys and thank you for taking the time to read this. I am currently working through a at home course compete with practical training at a...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock