Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittent Overflow of Feed and Expansion Tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello my parents have a house with an open vented system. It has an oil boiler feeding 4 circuits of radiators and also an indirect hot water cylinder. It also has a solid fuel fireplace back boiler (with 4 pipes) to it. The fire can heat both the radiator and the hot water. The fire is never lit. The feed and expansion tank is regularly overflowing every so often, mostly when the hot water heating circuit stops (I think). The feed and expansion tank gets sporadic water fill from the vent pipe and I can also feel a small pulse, or in flow, of water from the feed and expansion tank outlet. Here is a diagram. The system has been like this for years, but only started giving this problem a few months ago. Be gentle.

1. No diagram visible.
2. Could be blocked / partially blocked feed from F&E into system.
3. If you can identify the feed pipe, try running a magnet along the outside. Assuming it's not a steel pipe, the magnet should not be attracted, unless there is some magnetite (basically rust off the inside of radiators) inside the pipe. The presence of magnetite points (not infallibly) to a blockage.

hopefully i can attached it now. sorry i tried to attached a pdf earlier.

Attachments

• plumbingsystem.PNG
    plumbingsystem.PNG
    214.6 KB · Views: 22
1. No diagram visible.
2. Could be blocked / partially blocked feed from F&E into system.
3. If you can identify the feed pipe, try running a magnet along the outside. Assuming it's not a steel pipe, the magnet should not be attracted, unless there is some magnetite (basically rust off the inside of radiators) inside the pipe. The presence of magnetite points (not infallibly) to a blockage.
thanks - i will give that a try!

Maybe I didn't look hard enough but it looks as if the OF boiler system is sealed? as the vent is blanked and no cold feed. If sealed, can you indicate where the expansion vessel is teed in.

Maybe I didn't look hard enough but it looks as if the OF boiler system is sealed? as the vent is blanked and no cold feed. If sealed, can you indicate where the expansion vessel is teed in
The system doesn’t have an expansion vessel fitted anywhere, but the water in the CH/HW system is expanding and getting into the feed and expansion tank somehow. The only way I can see for expanding water to escape the HW/CH system is via the blue arrowed line in the attached picture. i.e. the water has to go via the back boiler (assuming all 4 pipes lead into one common chamber in the back boiler). Does it make any sense? I'm guessing it is not the way it should be...

Attachments

• diagram.PNG
    diagram.PNG
    218.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
No, that's certainly not correct, here is a idea of the correct way.
The gas boiler is showing gravity flow DHW heating like the solid fuel but doesn't have to be this way, it can be fully pumped.

1610110068734.png

Last edited:
No, that's certainly not correct, here is a idea of the correct way.
The gas boiler is showing gravity flow DHW heating like the solid fuel but doesn't have to be this way, it can be fully pumped.

View attachment 47045
Thanks for your post, the comments and diagram are very useful, and I appreciate the time you took. It is food for thought. The current oil boiler has only got two pipes running to and from it, so it would require a bit of digging in the floor. But if it is the only way to fix it then needs must...

Reply to Intermittent Overflow of Feed and Expansion Tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hello want to know on how do you calculate size of expansion tank for closed heating systems . for example 500 meters of 16mm underfloor heating and 4 double ~1000mm radiators , hot water cylinder coil , and oil boiler
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
I’ve recently cleaned my central heating system with Sentinel X400 cleaner, flushed it out clear, refilled & added Sentinel X100 inhibitor. After a couple of months, I went to the loft to check the feed & expansion tank, open the lid, there’s some kind of white/yellowish fungus/growth floating...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock