Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss I have a trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny

Hi all,

I have a trail for a couple of days with a plumbing company and i was hoping someone will have some advice for me on what they will be looking for the most. I think on the days of my trail we will be installing a central heating system. Just wanted to know what to expect

Thanks in advance to any one with any advice
Cheers Guys

Re: I have a trail at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for

Only bit of advice I can give is to leave your mobile at home.

The commonest moan I hear from employers about trainees is "he's always on his phone, texting, calling or updating facebook".

Good luck with it.

Re: I have a trail at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for

Hi John Good advice from Ray about the phone If you keen to get into this game this could be a good opportunity for you try to be on time I would expect you to generally fetch and carry for the guy/guy`s show that you are interested in learning a trade it may get more interesting for you as the job progresses..best of luck turnpin

Try and make your self useful, if you know the guy is going to need a spanner/hammer/screwdriver next have it ready for him.
There is always something to do even if its tidying up.

If you dont know how to do somthing ask him how to then try it ! Dont just wing it ! Because A) you might cock it up and B) you might do it wrong and create bad habbits !

and most important of all, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask :D

If your interested in the job and want to learn the trade it should come naturally.
observe, try to keep as busy as possible, don't complain about anything even when you don't stop for a break and end up working 12hr days.

A hard working apprentice who takes a bit of initiative will get and keep a job ahead of the next one who are in it because someone told them they can earn £50k

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a trail at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking f

Look interested!

Worse thing when having a apprentice is a lad who doesnt give a damn and just is either on phone or just looking around in a daze

Re: I have a trail at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking f

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the advice, but i should of explained better,
I am not an apprentice, I qualified 3 years ago and started working self employed straight away, So i have been working in the industry for the past 2 years. But most of my work is small repairs and bathroom installations, and as i am not gas safe i havent done any central heating installations. So i am looking for advice on what company's look for as i have never worked for a company before. Also some advice on main points when installing central heating systems would be a great help. Obviously i know the general rules and regs on installing them i just wanted to know inportant points and main things to get right! I just need to inpress in the trail.

Sorry for this essay just want to get this right!
Cheers Guys

Do things the way you would do it, be confident, spell trial right, take your time and don't cause any leaks, if in doubt about something then think twice before you do it, double check for leaks, be on time, learn the names for things so the boss can understand you. You will struggle as you are not used to having deadlines, being held responsible for your actions etc. I have done it and don't think I could be full time employed, but each to there own. oh and be polite to customers.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully my first job isnt spelling! Yea thats my main concern not being able to get used to there way of working. Im used to working at my pace and doing things in my way. I guess the only way to find out if i am suited to having a boss is to try it thanks pal

my advise :
- be on time
- keep your self busy
- blend in by speaking to the lads
- dont try to impress anyone
- always offer to help
- be smart and honest

Last edited:

my advice

forget it and become a tiler more money

Re: I have a trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for

Had to change the thread title. It's been annoying me!

Re: I have a trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for

Not a tiler.
Tile after tile and some more tiles. Not for me

I've had many trainee's in my time ,but not in the plumbing trade . I can tell in the first 15 minutes if someone is going to make it .It's their attitude, demeanor, willingness to accept mundane jobs. Definately leave phone at home. You've got to create a good working relationship with your pier what ever level your at. No hands in pockets , if theres nothing to do clean up. Recognise when your boss is struggling and stay out of his way.If as you say you've got a bit of experience just get on with what you know. Personally I think having a good rapor with your boss is worth more than experience.

Do things the way you would do it, be confident, spell trial right, take your time and don't cause any leaks, if in doubt about something then think twice before you do it, double check for leaks, be on time, learn the names for things so the boss can understand you. You will struggle as you are not used to having deadlines, being held responsible for your actions etc. I have done it and don't think I could be full time employed, but each to there own. oh and be polite to customers.
Also use words in their correct context ! (There should read their)! ;-)

All the best mate

Guys

Let's not turn into grammar nazi's here. (says he having changed the thread title.)

What I would suggest is we offer a proof reading service for the bodies of any letters of application or in general.

Re: trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for?

What I would suggest is we offer a proof reading service for the bodies of any letters of application or in general.

That's a good idea mate but it would have to be region specific as many peeps dont speek proper Eenglish like wot I do, innit!

Be on time. Look like the kind of guy they want. Tidy, clean, don't stink. Do what you are capable of doing and look keen. The phone think mentioned by ray really winds me up too!

Pier should be peer

Hi all,

I have a trail for a couple of days with a plumbing company and i was hoping someone will have some advice for me on what they will be looking for the most. I think on the days of my trail we will be installing a central heating system. Just wanted to know what to expect

Thanks in advance to any one with any advice
Cheers Guys

They will be looking for you to finish the heating system in the two days, see how you perform, hope it's plastic, quick fit, push fit :20:

Tony

Im pretty sure most company's dont employ on the basis of how you spell 'trial' but hey

But everyone with helpful advice and comments i appreciate thanks guys

Re: trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for?

Companies now tend to be paid a fixed price for jobs, they then pay you a fixed price for your labour.
Therefore, the employers ideally want you to work your socks off with no callbacks, be tidy, polite and above all fast.

nazi's shouldn't have an ' . it's a plural of nazi. :):):):) Was that being too helpful Croppie?

Not sure you need any advice, but make sure you are there early. It shows interest and keenness.

Oh and offer to make the tea!

Not sure you need any advice, but make sure you are there early. It shows interest and keenness.

Oh and offer to make the tea!

It was 3 years ago. He's been sacked by now.

It may have been three years ago, well spotted. But the points are just as valid today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I have a trial at a plumbing company Any advice on what company's are looking for? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock