Search the forum,

Discuss HOW TO: Replace an expansion vessel easily on a Worcester 28CDI in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrum

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
This has come up in a few threads so I thought I would give it a try and if it helps, make a quick how to for others to see.

Ok, so the CDI range isn't known as one of the easiest boilers to work on, the expansion vessel is fitted by way of a large cable tie right in the back end of the boiler.

EV281.jpg

In front of it, and subsequently what usually has to be removed in order to replace it, is pretty much everything. If you follow the manual, which I have done in the past you will soon find a long list of parts needed to be removed, including the main heat exchanger, fan, plate heat exchanger, pump, pipework etc and can be quite a long job, especially if the existing O rings leak.

So, providing you can access one side of the boiler, there is a much easier way of changing the vessel.

Start by removing the side panel, 2 screws in the front and one at the top

EV282.jpg

The lower panel in the above pic is what we are removing, but first a few things need to be removed to make life easier. Start with the stat wiring which sits up on the right hand side of the main heat exchanger.

EV283.jpg

Remove the 2 orange connectors (assuming you've already isolated electric etc) and pull them through the 2 grommets and tuck the cable away somewhere out the way under the boiler.

Next there are 4 screws which need removing, 2 in behind the PRV

EV284.jpg

The other 2 are behind this again and can be seen through the gap in the side panel, and accessed with a long pozi screwdriver

EV286.jpg

Next pop the white pin through to release the front fascia front the side panel, then release from the other side and let it dangle somewhere out of the way.

EV285.jpg

The only thing holding the side panel on now should be half a dozen rivets, these go through into the combustion chamber. Carefully drill these out making sure you don't go through the air pressure switch pipes in behind. I used a 4mm drill bit.

EV2812.jpg

I left the main wiring cable (white) connected as there is enough slack to move the panel out of the way with it connected. Disconnect the expansion vessel tube from the pump connection and vessel, you can bin this as the new vessel comes with a different tube. Cut the cable tie and remove the expansion vessel from the hole.

EV288.jpg

The new vessel slides in easily without any fuss as you would expect, but I took a photo of it so I need to write something!

EV289.jpg EV287.jpg

Reconnect the expansion vessel using the new tube supplied, sip tea, explain to the customer that it usually takes an hour and 5 bleeding knuckles to get this far. Quick :39:break, then;

Re-fit the panel, I then used pop rivets to replace the ones I had drilled out, the pipes to the right were in the way to get a few of the rivets back in, but make sure that all the rivets into the combustion chamber are re-fitted, for obvious reasons.

EV2810.jpg

Re-fit everything in the reverse order and admire the fact it looks like no-one has touched it.

EV2811.jpg

Thanks to the people who suggested this method, it could probably be done in 30 minutes if your not taking photo's along the way etc, took me about an hour all in, including changing the PRV which was stuck in due to a corroded retaining clip!

Hope that helps :grin:

Last edited:
Told you it could be done! Love the step by step photos excellent work!

Is it only the 28 or is the 35 the same as I have got 1 to change next week and I really dont fancy pulling everything out.

This has come up in a few threads so I thought I would give it a try and if it helps, make a quick how to for others to see.

Ok, so the CDI range isn't known as one of the easiest boilers to work on, the expansion vessel is fitted by way of a large cable tie right in the back end of the boiler.

View attachment 8032

In front of it, and subsequently what usually has to be removed in order to replace it, is pretty much everything. If you follow the manual, which I have done in the past you will soon find a long list of parts needed to be removed, including the main heat exchanger, fan, plate heat exchanger, pump, pipework etc and can be quite a long job, especially if the existing O rings leak.

So, providing you can access one side of the boiler, there is a much easier way of changing the vessel.

Start by removing the side panel, 2 screws in the front and one at the top

View attachment 8033

The lower panel in the above pic is what we are removing, but first a few things need to be removed to make life easier. Start with the stat wiring which sits up on the right hand side of the main heat exchanger.

View attachment 8034

Remove the 2 orange connectors (assuming you've already isolated electric etc) and pull them through the 2 grommets and tuck the cable away somewhere out the way under the boiler.

Next there are 4 screws which need removing, 2 in behind the PRV

View attachment 8035

The other 2 are behind this again and can be seen through the gap in the side panel, and accessed with a long pozi screwdriver

View attachment 8036

Next pop the white pin through to release the front fascia front the side panel, then release from the other side and let it dangle somewhere out of the way.

View attachment 8037

The only thing holding the side panel on now should be half a dozen rivets, these go through into the combustion chamber. Carefully drill these out making sure you don't go through the air pressure switch pipes in behind. I used a 4mm drill bit.

View attachment 8038

I left the main wiring cable (white) connected as there is enough slack to move the panel out of the way with it connected. Disconnect the expansion vessel tube from the pump connection and vessel, you can bin this as the new vessel comes with a different tube. Cut the cable tie and remove the expansion vessel from the hole.

View attachment 8039

The new vessel slides in easily without any fuss as you would expect, but I took a photo of it so I need to write something!

View attachment 8040 View attachment 8041

Reconnect the expansion vessel using the new tube supplied, sip tea, explain to the customer that it usually takes an hour and 5 bleeding knuckles to get this far. Quick :39:break, then;

Re-fit the panel, I then used pop rivets to replace the ones I had drilled out, the pipes to the right were in the way to get a few of the rivets back in, but make sure that all the rivets into the combustion chamber are re-fitted, for obvious reasons.

View attachment 8042

Re-fit everything in the reverse order and admire the fact it looks like no-one has touched it.

View attachment 8043

Thanks to the people who suggested this method, it could probably be done in 30 minutes if your not taking photo's along the way etc, took me about an hour all in, including changing the PRV which was stuck in due to a corroded retaining clip!

Hope that helps :grin:
yep said it could be done,done loads

Little off topic here

Can we have a sticky or forum that's locked to new post that contains useful info

Like this

Gasmans Worcester red gasket

My ideal resistance values

Etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HOW TO: Replace an expansion vessel easily on a Worcester 28CDI in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock