Search the forum,

Discuss How to remove this shower valve cartridge? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My shower temperature control knob isn't working anymore - only produces hot water. I tried replacing the cartridge but I can't seem to remove the existing one. What's the best way to remove the cartridge I've attached pictures of? It's very very stiff.

Attachments

• IMG_20230111_130458.jpg
    IMG_20230111_130458.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230111_130453.jpg
    IMG_20230111_130453.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230111_130442.jpg
    IMG_20230111_130442.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 17
It won’t be compatible with the existing over / rain head shower rise new shower

It won’t be compatible with the existing over / rain head shower rise new shower
I've attached screenshots of my current shower valve.

The valve I am considering buying is product code 17BSV online from Victorian Plumbing. I bought my whole shower from the same website 3 years ago but they have advised me they can't confirm if this valve would definitely work with my existing shower. To me it looks like the connection to the shower riser is slightly different in the attached pictures compared to the product website. Do you think this would be a material difference for it not to work?

Attachments

• Valve2.JPG
    Valve2.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Valve1.JPG
    Valve1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 13
Yep different now I’m not saying you might be able to bodge something together etc

If your shower only lasted 3 years why are you buying more rubbish from the same people?

Although this thread seems a bit jumbled? The first post seems to bear no relation to the following ones?

If your shower only lasted 3 years why are you buying more rubbish from the same people?

Although this thread seems a bit jumbled? The first post seems to bear no relation to the following ones?
Very jumbled. Not sure WHERE Shaun is seeing an over / rain head shower. All I can see is a valve.

Good old Victorian Plumbing. They sent a customer of mine 2 faulty bidets in a row, then refunded, but this left him with 2 faulty bidets to deal with. Said they wouldn't send a 2nd replacement as they were withdrawing the product from sale, but the website said it was still available for online order. ???

If the OP is going to try a repair, unscrew the cartridge and it's a cheap shower, there may be a suitable replacement for a tenner on ebay, and for that sort of money... Perhaps a Stillson wrench instead of a spanner and try turning clockwise a bit and then anticlockwise a bit more. Back and forth and slowly unscrew. If it wrecks the shower because there's something strange you haven't lost anything, have you?

If you're going to buy a new shower, try something decent like Grohe or Mira. I've never understand how we allowed ourselves to accept a world in which taps and showers should only last 5 or 10 years, however cheap the initial purchase price.

Very jumbled. Not sure WHERE Shaun is seeing an over / rain head shower. All I can see is a valve.

Good old Victorian Plumbing. They sent a customer of mine 2 faulty bidets in a row, then refunded, but this left him with 2 faulty bidets to deal with. Said they wouldn't send a 2nd replacement as they were withdrawing the product from sale, but the website said it was still available for online order. ???

If the OP is going to try a repair, unscrew the cartridge and it's a cheap shower, there may be a suitable replacement for a tenner on ebay, and for that sort of money... Perhaps a Stillson wrench instead of a spanner and try turning clockwise a bit and then anticlockwise a bit more. Back and forth and slowly unscrew. If it wrecks the shower because there's something strange you haven't lost anything, have you?

If you're going to buy a new shower, try something decent like Grohe or Mira. I've never understand how we allowed ourselves to accept a world in which taps and showers should only last 5 or 10 years, however cheap the initial purchase price.
Shaun is saying a new one may not line up with the riser

Reply to How to remove this shower valve cartridge? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock