Search the forum,

Discuss High-rise Water & Noise Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarcDHall

Hi Everyone

Not sure if this is the sort of thing you would know about. Long story:

I live in a high-rise block of apartments (The Echo Building in Sunderland). I've lived here for a few years on the 8th floor. Quite early on I started getting woken up during the night by a banging noise. At the time I assumed it was someone doing something. The place is mostly students so it's easy to imagine them being up all night doing whatever.

Years passed and the noise remains. My neighbours, and their neighbours, have long since moved out and been replaced. And replaced again. So the human explanation is not plausible. My place is right next to the rubbish chute. Recently I happened to be in there when it happening and the noise was coming clearly from behind a wall that has a big access panel on it (not the chute, off to one side). This made me think that there is something in there mechanical and relevant.

I set up a recorder overnight a couple of times and got very clear recordings of it. I'll see if I can get the sounds hosted so you can hear.

Here are the features of the noise:

- It happens at random times 24 hours a day.
- It's not linked to anything I do or any activity in the building. At least not obviously.
- When it happens it happens in clusters of between 1 and 16 in a sequence of descending loudness.
- There is no accompanying noise, no footsteps, no people.
- The noise is very distinct. I make music and have a pretty good ear. It's practically the same waveform every time. All other noises are either thuds or clatters i.e. messy or muffled. e.g. when doors slam they bounce and you get a clattery sound. This noise is precise and instantly recognisable.
- It has a kind of knocking, metallic quality, but sounds heavy like someone hitting an anvil.
- It is often a knock followed by a much quieter knock like something opening and closing.
- There's no lead up or after-noise. Just a distinct mechanical knock.

The best my maintenance company can suggest is that it is the rubbish chute... which is nonsense.

The management told me that we have a single large pump in the bottom of the building that pumps water up, and there are no other water components. Surely that's wrong, right? Surely that massive pump isn't connected directly to 800 taps on 12 floors?

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what this could be given the likely water system in a building like this?

Thanks

Marc

[QUOTE
The management told me that we have a single large pump in the bottom of the building that pumps water up, and there are no other water components. Surely that's wrong, right? Surely that massive pump isn't connected directly to 800 taps on 12 floors?

Anyway, does anyone have any idea what this could be given the likely water system in a building like this?

Thanks

Marc[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forums Marc, how else do you think water gets up there but would expect a water tank to be up there as well. Can`t help you with the noise and why though so happy hunting.

Last edited:
do you own your flat or is it rented ?

Hi Thanks for the quick reply. I own the flat.

I'm sure they are correct that there is a pump. I just find it hard to believe that that is all there is. Surely there are more components on each floor, with moving parts that could produce this noise. For example something with a valve? I thought these building usually pump up to a tank then gravity water back down. They said there is no tank.

Anyway, the way the management people talk is that this noise is basically impossible. I suppose it could be a knocking pipe but it doesn't sound like knocking pipes I've heard, and there is no central heating. Heating's electric.

When they say a pump they probably mean a booster set, basically a huge tank supplying a pump. I'd keep throwing the issue back at the maintenance bods for the block!

Yes it will be a pump, or rather set of pumps, for all supplies.

The pumps will either be variable speed or staged so that as the demand increases the pumps speed up or additional pumps come online.

There may be an accumulator, a large vessel but not a tank, to act as a buffer on the outgoing side.
There will be a buffer tank on the inlet side to the pumps but that will be at the side of the pumps probably in a basement.

Something like this;

http://smedegaard.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/image_435.bmp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High-rise Water & Noise Problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Could someone tell me what this is, please? (coming from a Joule Cyclone unvented cylinder) It was making a distinct knocking, vibrating, rattling sound, I turned it slightly clockwise, and the noise stopped instantly. The system is 2.5 years old. is there something I need to do to prevent...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Hello, purchased a house in February this year and for a few weeks, noticed a loud banging noise which sounds like it is coming from under my sink, but happens when no water is running. I think it could be when my neighbour is either running water or maybe using a washing machine. House is an...
Replies
Views
Hi there, My boiler (Worcester Greenstar Ri) has started making a soft knocking noise when it turns on, and again a few times when it turns off. I've attached a short video of the sound. It isn't constant, it seems to happen within the first 10 mins of the boiler starting up, then you won't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock