Discuss Help with boiler - First Home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, it is much more than I expected.

I am thinking about adding the radiators to the existing boiler and connect the new shower downstairs (it will be rarely used). Then complete the refurbishment plastering walls, laying new floors, etc.

How difficult would it be in a few years time to replace it with a combi? Would it be very destructive, lifting floors, making holes in the walls...?

Last edited:
We have been today in Ikea for a kitchen design and a basic one is over ÂŁ7000, included installation. Then it doesn't leave much room for new combi boiler.

I am thinking about reallocating the boiler to a different cupboard a few feets away, connect 3 new radiators to the existing boiler and lay the plumbing for the new shower downstairs (it will be rarely used). Then complete the refurbishment plastering walls, laying new floors, etc.

1. How difficult would it be in a few years time to replace it with a combi? Would it be very destructive, lifting floors, making holes in the walls...? Would the new boilder use the same pipes?

2. Do you think the existing boiler with the 50 litres hot water tank would do the job for just a bathroom with a bath for a few years until we save enough money for a new one?

3. Is there any risk in moving an old boiler (you can see it on the photos) to be honest I don't know how old or reliable the existing boiler is and we haven't gotten the keys for the house yet so i'm not able to check the specs.

4. In your opinion, do you think this is a good plan? any downside?

I can really describe how much I appreciate all your help and advises. We have been saving money for the last 6 years to buy the house and we don't want to make any stupid mistake. I know we could get quotes and professional advise but I don't have the keys for the house yet and we are trying to learn as much as we can in the meantime.

1 if the boiler was in the same place not much

2 yes but the issue is pressure, dont be surprised if you dont get a very good shower, unless its an electric one

3 yes best not to move an old boiler

4 depends on your budget

me personally would want a decent heating system before a kitchen unless the installed one is non existing / falling apart

1 if the boiler was in the same place not much

2 yes but the issue is pressure, dont be surprised if you dont get a very good shower, unless its an electric one

3 yes best not to move an old boiler

4 depends on your budget

me personally would want a decent heating system before a kitchen unless the installed one is non existing / falling apart

Thank you for your reply.

In your opinion how much do you think it will cost me to install a new combi boiler to replace the current one a few feet away, run pipes for a new bathroom downstairs and install 3 new heaters?

in other post I have been given figures around 5k and it seems a lot. How much do you reckon it will cost

Thanks again.

About that maybe more best bet is to get a few quotes and come back to us

We have been saving money for the last 6 years to buy the house and we don't want to make any stupid mistake. I know we could get quotes and professional advise but I don't have the keys for the house yet and we are trying to learn as much as we can in the meantime.

It is a lot easier to spend ÂŁ1000 than it is to save ÂŁ1000. If the house is habitable, my advice is not to spend anything until you've lived in it for a bit and got your budget and priorities clear in your mind.

Start by making sure that the roof isn't leaking, gutters and drains are clear and working properly, paint on exterior woodwork is okay. Then make sure the electrical system is safe, e.g. by installing a consumer unit with RCBOs on each circuit. Next, double-glazing if not already fitted. Central heating probably comes next.

IMO, luxuries like a new bathroom or a new kitchen should wait a year or two until your finances have recovered from hammering that they'll get in the first few years of home ownership.

Plenty of options depending on budget.

Stay with current heating and hot water. Fit a shower pump and you may need additional cold water storage.

Go unvented, if pressure and flow allows.

Go combi but again if pressure and flow allows.

Don't go to ikea for bathrooms or kitchens. Over priced tat. Have a look at frontline bathrooms. Good gear at a good price.

Best thing though is to get eyes on by two or three good engineers and talk through your options. Also bear in mind if you do spend a bit on a bathroom and go option 1 then it shouldn't be a problem to swap to a combi/unvented later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with boiler - First Home in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock