Search the forum,

Discuss HELP! What happens if we introduce sudden 80degree water in a radiator.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sukhjeetgrewal

Hi all ,
I'm working on boiler ramp up timings.. I was just curious that what are the things that can happen if we suddenly introduce 80C water in home radiators.
I mean is it dangerous for radiators, do radiator manufacturers warn about it
:93:

what about its noise levels or expansion of pipes

Please let me know if any kind of problem comes to your mind regarding this..

kind ragards

Gary

The power of google - [DLMURL]http://www.coverad.co.uk/legislation.htm[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I once re-fitted a radiator that had been sat outside in minus temperatures all day, to a system that had been running for an hour or two and was around 80 degrees, it made some horrible noises as I opened the valves, as if it the metal was rapidly expanding, but as far as I know it hasn't caused any damage!

Noises may be creep on the brackets / Pipes .

You may harm some spiders ?

What situation , old system installed a long time in copper , or new looking for an excuse to let go ,plastic bits all over place ?
( Steel holds up better to blow lamp at 800 deg C than copper ! )

Only applies to hospitals, care homes etc which usually have lst rads fitted as std.

Agreed, but was more to highlight the point of the info contained in the article as a quick read & I found it quite informative & interesting.

"The publication shows that with a water temperature of 70°C, people will receive partial thickness skin burns in approximately 7/10ths of a second and full thickness burns in 10 seconds. The issue is therefore a serious one and cannot be ignored.

Many hot water radiators in use today have been sized to operate with a flow water temperature of 80°C to the radiator and a 70°C return, providing indoor air temperatures ranging from 19°C to 28°C. The higher the indoor temperature requirement the larger the radiator needs to be. Even with thermostatic radiator valves fitted, dangerously high surface temperatures are still possible.

The principle of condensing boilers should not be misunderstood. They have the capability to produce high flow water temperatures but depend upon low water temperatures to achieve fuel savings. Typical temperature control for a condensing boiler operating with large radiators sized for 50°C flow, 30°C return and an indoor temperature of 20°C : "

It is not a problem even for kids. The pain kicks in too much to bear before any damage is done. A bit like holding your kids hands in front of an open fire until they cry. It may seem cruel but they will never go near it again.
Hospitals and places for the elderly and infirm are different. They are more concerned about someone falling against it and being unable to move away.
A bigger risk that has only recently been addressed in England is TMV's on baths. Many people, usually kids suffered horrific burns from falling into a bath of 60º + water. That literally lifts the skin off you.

It is not a problem even for kids. The pain kicks in too much to bear before any damage is done. A bit like holding your kids hands in front of an open fire until they cry. It may seem cruel but they will never go near it again.
Hospitals and places for the elderly and infirm are different. They are more concerned about someone falling against it and being unable to move away.
A bigger risk that has only recently been addressed in England is TMV's on baths. Many people, usually kids suffered horrific burns from falling into a bath of 60º + water. That literally lifts the skin off you.

True, I guess that's what they're saying here with a domestic boiler;

"Typical temperature control for a condensing boiler operating with large radiators sized for 50°C flow, 30°C return and an indoor temperature of 20°C :"

Just don't drop your mobile between bed and radiator that hot and wonder why it don't work or worst !

True, I guess that's what they're saying here with a domestic boiler;

"Typical temperature control for a condensing boiler operating with large radiators sized for 50°C flow, 30°C return and an indoor temperature of 20°C :"

I've never done any work in these type places for a good few years now but i'd bet they still spec lst rads even with a condensing boiler. Maybe John would know.

vaillants and glowworms come set at 75 you have to change in menu to set at 80 .boiler manufacturers could set to 48 but we would all have cold houses

To be honest, I only worry when I'm dealing with MTHW, (90-120degC at 3bar). That really does blister you.

All the care and respite homes I've been in, and wards for the elderly and children, the radiators have decorative covers to prevent physical contact.

Which are a pain if the trv heads are left on!

It is not a problem even for kids. The pain kicks in too much to bear before any damage is done. A bit like holding your kids hands in front of an open fire until they cry.

I don't think this is true if they are very young. I can think of some examples:
There was a reported case in a nursery which burnt hands on rads that were too hot - it could have been a baby i can't remember - but the child's reaction to the heat was not fast at that age.

Also in my own house I usually have the rads water at somewhere between 40-50C but occasionally higher (and then it quickly feels tropical here). My preschool kids have have received burns even from only touching the rads for a moment.

If the rads are old then I wouldn't recommend 80c
water temp as when the rads expand the expansion could open up pin holes within the rads.
Also if you have youngsters then I wouldn't recommend 80c.
You generally don't need more than 70c
in a heating circuit if the system is correctly balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to HELP! What happens if we introduce sudden 80degree water in a radiator.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock