Search the forum,

Discuss Heating Design Advice: Combination or Separate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hashmio

Hi guys

I recently purchased a new house and it requires a completely new heating and hot water system.

I am deliberating on whether to go for a combi boiler or just keep the heating and hot water separate. I was wandering if someone could advise. As most people I am on a budget but if the cost difference in energy savings and maintenance costs can be recouped over 3-5 years I would be willing to go for the more expensive option. I have been told that combi boilers are very complicated and the maintenance cost are higher then a separate system.

I have attached the floor plan of my house and here some additional details which maybe useful when offering advise:
Victorian Semi
Ceilings around 2.6m high
no basement
2 bathrooms with shower
3 young children

Feel free to ask me any relevant questions

Thanks

Os

Attachments

• New Floor Plan.jpg
    New Floor Plan.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the forum.
3 kids, 2 bathrooms will mean a lot of water demand. My choice would be a boiler and cylinder, unvented if it is possible.

what area are you from, I'm sure someone here can help.

With water demand on this scale, combi will not be a good enough hot water flow if more than 1 maybe 2 taps are ran at one time. Combi only for 1 bathroom house with a reasonably low hot water need. Unvented is the best performance you can get for hot water.

Don't agree. Victorian terrace, probably got old lead supply. Unvented will perform same as a combi.

Would recommend lead is replaced with 25mm mdpe then get your flow rates measured? Where are u planning to put boiler?

If your on a budget an unvented will be more expensive and cost more in maintenance over ten years valves and controllers and pump or vessels are covered under mfr warranty. Also heating water when not needed.... As on a budget I would suggest a Baxi platinum 40kw. This boiler and all the parts are covered for 10 yes ten years against any defect or breakdown. Bit like Worcester bosh who are very picky and only give half promises.

40kw will be more than enough once water supply upgraded. Get a survey done by local firm fist tho.

i would go30kw combi and an electric shower down stairs that way if one breaks chances are youll have the other working still need a decent main tho

But before anything else get your water working pressure and flow rate checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Heating Design Advice: Combination or Separate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I currently have an ideal mexico 2 heat only boiler - It has one DAB pump on the boiler return and a 2 port valve at the flow pipe to allow for heating...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I have 2 zones - one for bedrooms upstairs and another for the living areas downstairs. Now the plastering has been finished and I am costing the combi...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hi, been doing lots of research for a house we're about to move into and pulling my hair out on what to fit. The house: 1930s semi, 3 bed, 1 bath (separate shower + Bathtub) its essentially a shell (a rotted falling down shell) šŸ˜‚ the whole house will be on electric only except gas for heating...
Replies
Views
I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing system. Plumbing, like most trades, seems to have two main aspects; design and installation. The installation part on my last two projects was painful...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock