Search the forum,

Discuss Groaning Pipes: unvented water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rick Webb

Hi,

Firstly, what a great site, and thanks to all the hard-working and committed professionals who are prepared to take the time to offer advice.

I have a Range Tribune Unvented Electric Water Heater (with expansion vessel). It was installed approximately 2-3 years ago.

I recently had a plumber from a large reputable (but local) firm to visit to perform a service. I asked if he had an unvented certificate. As part of the service, I mentioned that the overflow occasionally leaked.

He checked the expansion vessel and the pressure was low. He restored the pressure to 3 bar.

After he had done this, the pipes started making an awful groaning sound every time the hot water was turned on, especially after the water heater is on. This lasts between 30-90 seconds.

After one week, the noise had not stopped, we called the plumber who came back out. He reduced the pressure in the expansion vessel to about 75% of what it should have been. He explained that if that didn’t fix it, the expansion vessel was probably faulty.

I have taken a video of the noise it makes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQuT7deA78

Given that the unit is less than 3 years old, and this problem had never existed before the plumber came out to it, I struggle with the notion that this is a faulty part.

Is there anything else this could be?
Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, has the unit been serviced annually or is this the first time it's been serviced?

This is the second service, and the unit is perhaps 3 years old. It has been serviced almost annually.

After help from the Webmaster, I have been able to edit this post and include the link to the video (if this helps).

I had a similar problem after servicing an unvented cylinder once, turned out to be a problem with the pressure reducing valve juddering, water hammer type thing.
We had to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Groaning Pipes: unvented water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock