Search the forum,

Discuss gravity hot water pump heating all vented bleeds weirdly!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper Gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello All,

I have a weird problem that has caught me off balance.
About 2 years ago I power flushed an 8 rad system
Customer call me a couple of weeks ago complaining that one tad is not warm
I checked bottom of rad and found it warm so I opened bleed valve nothing came out.
I suggested to put in system cleaner
I returned flushed out water and started to fill again. All down stairs rads bled as they should but all top rads bled really slowly. And some top rads would only bleed when one side of the rad is closed.
If I open both valves the rad won't bleed.
So I closed down the locks holed as much as possible while still getting flow of water through rad.
Has anyone come across this kind of situation before.
The rads are mostly very old.

Cheers for any advice anyone can offer.

are they 2 pipe valve? (both pipes on one valve)

An open vent system should bleed no bother whether 1 or 2 pipe or whatever type of rad valves are fitted. Some can be very slow - especially if feed pipe is partly blocked and might fill the higher rads slower. Depends also where the f&e tank is situated.
Only time I find a problem bleeding an open vent system is if the pump is running as some systems will draw air into the rad.

An open vent system should bleed no bother whether 1 or 2 pipe or whatever type of rad valves are fitted. Some can be very slow - especially if feed pipe is partly blocked and might fill the higher rads slower. Depends also where the f&e tank is situated.
Only time I find a problem bleeding an open vent system is if the pump is running as some systems will draw air into the rad.

not with these esp if the pipe is missing

Upperplumbers_twin_entry_radiator_valve.jpg

As above, is pump pff. Is the f&e tank high enough? Don't assume it has ever worked before either, customers can be crafty buggers.

not with these esp if the pipe is missing

Upperplumbers_twin_entry_radiator_valve.jpg

Why? I have worked on those dual pipe valves for years that were all fitted on gravity systems.
Often the internal pipe wasn't connected. I never have found any bother with them, apart from slow to fill being microbore & also air locks in the microbore. Gravity should just fill from any pipe if rad air vent open.
Different story if pump is running while trying to bleed air or f&e tank is too low.
I always hated microbore & dual valves & never fitted it though, except small alterations.

Last edited:
Why? I have worked on those dual pipe valves for years that were all fitted on gravity systems.
Often the internal pipe wasn't connected. I never have found any bother with them, apart from slow to fill being microbore & also air locks in the microbore. Gravity should just fill from any pipe if rad air vent open.
Different story if pump is running while trying to bleed air or f&e tank is too low.
I always hated microbore & dual valves & never fitted it though, except small alterations.

if no internal pipe is fitted it can bypass the rad and flow down the return (short cycling)

if no internal pipe is fitted it can bypass the rad and flow down the return (short cycling)

Oh, yes, I know that can happen. I was thinking more on the point the OP said about the top rads not filling if both valves on. Very strange unless pump is running while attempting bleeding rads

Oh, yes, I know that can happen. I was thinking more on the point the OP said about the top rads not filling if both valves on. Very strange unless pump is running while attempting bleeding rads

esp when hes cleaned the system so next step is valves

partialy blocked cold feed ? , you could try back filling the system through drain off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gravity hot water pump heating all vented bleeds weirdly!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock