Search the forum,

Discuss Got hot water but rads get warm, then cool, then warm! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DavidS

I'll try to keep this shortish. We have a 'W' plan system, Potterton netaheat boiler with a Potterton mini minder controller.
Hot water is no problem, in fact I backed the cylinder stat back a tad the other day, 'cos the water was nearly scalding. The problem is that my rads never get really hot, you know, nearly too hot to touch. The only way I can get anywhere near that is to turn off every rad upstairs, so that the flow is going solely to the two downstairs rads ( we have only two rads downstairs, totally inadequate I know, but my gripe is with rad temps, not house temp), then those two get almost, and I stress, almost too hot to touch. But as soon as I crack the upstairs rads, the temp drops to only very warm. The net result is that all the rads in the house are only very warm, not hot.
To make matters worse, at any given time, the whole heating system will cool down for now apparent reason! Almost as if it's been turned off ( it hasn't, 'cos the mini minder controller is all the way over to '24 hours'. Then, after an hour or more, it decides to fire up, and the rads get back to being very warm for the rest of the evening.
I power flushed the system about 3 yrs ago, and got a fair amount of crud out.
I drew some water out of a rad at the weekend, and it is crystal clear, with no smell.
The room stat is a honeywell, just numbered 1-5, no temp setting, and that is always at about no.4. It clicks and turns the boiler off at around no.3, but when the system is sulking, it still clicks, but has no effect on the boiler.
I'll stop there, as I've probably given too much useless information already.
All help gratefully received, and please ask as many questions as you like guys.
Thanks, Dave

Would a malfunctioning room stat cause the above problems? Apart from the controller, its the only thing I havnt changed over the years.

Also, on a 'W' plan, hot water prority system, when the HW is satisfied, and CH is on,does the diverter valve shut off the HW feed, or move to mid position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Got hot water but rads get warm, then cool, then warm! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just tried to turn on my CH for the first time this year as I have a number of guests coming for xmas dinner but even after an hour all the rads are stone...
Replies
Views
I have a 2 pump hot water tank (Flomax 180L fitted in '94) in airing cupboard system with an Ideal classic boiler (downstairs next to an external wall) which for the most part seems to provide excellent hot water. The central heating also works fine - though sometimes I think the radiuators...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock