Search the forum,

Discuss Good mains pressure, poor flow, new 32mm MDPE connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

belfastbob

Hi guys

I have a new house which is connected to the water main with about 20m of 32mm MDPE (26mm i/d). Measured at the internal stop tap, I have decent mains static pressure of 3 bar. When I turn on a tap, the dynamic measurement is a different matter altogether.

I monitored the dynamic pressure just after the internal stopcock, adjusting the flow through it using the outside tap. Here are my results.

Pressure [bar], Flow [ltr/min]
3.0, 0.0,
2.7, 5.1,
2.4, 6.0,
2.0, 7.8,
1.7, 8.9,
1.3, 10.5,
1.0, 11.9,
0.4, 13.6,

The water is only flowing from the main, through the external stopcock, down 20m of 32mm MDPE, though the internal stopcock and out the outside tap.

In all cases, the pressure drop at that flow rate is equivalent to over 2000m of 32mm MDPE (confirmed using www dot pressure-drop dot com). I've only got about 20m to the main supply so I can't understand where the restriction is. If the pipe is new and installed correctly I should see virtually no pressure drop across it at these flow rates. The only thing left in the path is the stop cocks. A stopcock wouldn't drop 1 bar at only 7.8 litres per minute would it?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Bob

It could be a dodgy stopcock not opening properly or debris inside.

First thing is get the water board to come and do some tests.

Blockage/airlock/faulty valve or meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Good mains pressure, poor flow, new 32mm MDPE connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Could I ask for some help with a water flow rate problem. I have good mains water pressure on the ground floor. There is no tank in the loft...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
We just had a waterhole bored and were lucky enough to find a flowing artesian, which delivers just over 500 gallons an hour without needing a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Currently suffering from poor internal flow rates near the internal 20mm stopcock of 10L/min. Want to upgrade system to either...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock