Search the forum,

Discuss Gloworm Ultimate 50ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Tyrrell

Gas Engineer
Just called at a breakdown on one of these and ant find the fault!
Gloworm tech aren't answering the phones and it's doing my head in tbh.
The thing sparks, the fan and pump run but it won't ignite.
Many duggestions as to what it might be?

pilot injector is very prone to blocking on these two small holes can be cleaned with wire new injector about ÂŁ12.00 be careful as the nut sometimes sticks and snaps at the olive which will mean new pilot supply. also could be gas valve nit opening for pilot easy to prove undo pilot tube

as above mainly

Pilot blocked
Failed solenoid
Blockage to gas valve (filter) Manometer on WP test point to make sure gas is there
Spark weak or bad position maybe even tracking through damaged HT lead.
Air intake on pilot blocked ?

It's got lights on the board aswell that point you in directions for faults on these.

Think it has 3 lights if I remember rightly

Aren't there two boards for these? A seven an a five wire?

I tell you what it's not like swapping a board on an isar when changing these, not a straight swap by any means

Aren't there two boards for these? A seven an a five wire?

I tell you what it's not like swapping a board on an isar when changing these, not a straight swap by any means

yes single or double fuse i dont mind changing them fiddly but easy.

I replaced a faulty PCb on a glowworm ultimate once as it was dead, it then only got to the sparking stage & I thought the new pcb was a duff but it was the pilot injector absolutely blocked solid.... Little wire brush managed to clear it & was okay since!

This one hadn't been serviced with big pile sediment over burners etc

Just to update you all :)

I went back to this one yesterday and followed all the advice, but to no avail.
After following the fault finder in the MI I have determined that the air pressure switch has given up.
There was gas at the pilot, but the pilot doesn't light. I checked the gas with my Honeywell sniffer btw.
There's a good spark, and as the boiler is sparking away I checked voltage at the APS only to find that I didn't have 230v so I'm presuming that its the APS at fault.

Just two queries though:

If the fan isn't working at full speed can this cause a problem with the APS?
I ask because the fan is making a grating noise but it is running.

Is the Ultimate 50FF fan the same as the Micron 50FF fan? There appears to be a huge difference in the price for the two and yet they appear to be the same, looking at the images I can find.

If it's sparking and gas is there it is not the pressure switch !
Is the spark in the right place and 2-4 mm from strike surface, have you filed or Emery papered it clean ?

Last edited:
I still think pilot blockage !
Gas may be there but not enough.
Change pilot and electrode !

That's what I would be doing

new pilot injector the holes are tiny in these it doesnt take much to block them

If the fan isn't working at full speed can this cause a problem with the APS?
I ask because the fan is making a grating noise but it is running.

Is the Ultimate 50FF fan the same as the Micron 50FF fan? There appears to be a huge difference in the price for the two and yet they appear to be the same, looking at the images I can find.

If its sparking then the fan and APS switch are working

fans do get noisy but it is operating the aps otherwise it wouldnt spark

1 call for heat
2 aps proves
3 spark
4 pilot solenoid open
6 pilot lights and proves with ionisation
7 main solenoid opens

you are getting to 4 so it has to be gas related (or spark is not enough to ignite ) you can prove this.

fans do get noisy but it is operating the aps otherwise it wouldnt spark

1 call for heat
2 aps proves
3 spark
4 pilot solenoid open
6 pilot lights and proves with ionisation
7 main solenoid opens

you are getting to 4 so it has to be gas related (or spark is not enough to ignite ) you can prove this.

That's exactly what I was thinking but I thought I'd just check - I'm never that confident with these things although I should be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gloworm Ultimate 50ff in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH. When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I attended a gloworm 30cxi running on lpg today. Changed the return pipe on the heat exchanger as the rubber connector had gone hard and was leaking all over the place. Boiler fired up ran for 20 secs on dhw then fan increased speed and it went out. Went through the ignition sequence a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock