Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic Combi 30 - pump only keeps activating for 4 mins. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH.

When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as infrequently as once an hour, so it's pretty inconsistent. These episodes only occur with the boiler set to Winter Mode (HW & CH) and not when set to Summer Mode (HW only).

When these pump run episodes occur:

The burner does not ignite,

I can hear water running through the radiators, which remain cold,

The display shows 0 and is free of codes,

Zero HW and CH demand,

Hot water preheat is also switched off,

DHW & DCH working fine when actually commanded.

The Grundfos pump failed early last year and it was replaced with a generic replacement as it was a mid-winter emergency and it's all the engineer had to hand on a Friday evening. I did wonder if this generic pump could be at fault as I don't recall this issue prior to replacement but I believe the pump can only operate if commanded by the boiler PCB.

The boiler is located in the house and thus doesn't have an external frost stat, although I beleive the Ideal Logic uses the return flow thermistor for frost protection in the absence of an external stat. I also believe a faulty thermistor would give a code if faulty or fire up the burner if it thought frost was a potential issue, and it's not firing the burner, just running the pump.

The only other change since the pump was replaced is the addition of a Honeywell R8810 Opentherm relay as I already had Evohome running with a BDR91. Opentherm works fine plus I can't imagine this would be running the pump without firing the burner if faulty.

Any ideas as I'm at a loss as to where to go with this - the only thing I can think of is a faulty PCB as the PCB fuse had to be replaced when the pump failed and blew it? I'm just a home owner with little knowledge, so fingers crossed the more knowledgeable of you might have an idea what's going on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Our Logic Combi also runs for a couple of minutes a night. I think it may be some kind of preheat or frost protection. Strangely, ours has only started doing it since it was serviced. I have known other boilers to do this too and it is most annoying if the boiler is next to a bedroom.

Our Logic Combi also runs for a couple of minutes a night. I think it may be some kind of preheat or frost protection. Strangely, ours has only started doing it since it was serviced. I have known other boilers to do this too and it is most annoying if the boiler is next to a bedroom.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe these boilers run a brief anti-seize cycle every 24 hours but this might only apply if the boiler hasn't operated in a 24 hour period. I'm guessing this is what yours is doing when it runs for a couple of minutes.

I could live with once every 24 hours but the pump on my boiler runs for exactly 4 minutes and this can happen as frequently as 5 or 6 times an hour or as infrequently as once every several hours or so.

I have resorted to switching the boiler to Summer mode when the heating is off but this means I can't schedule the heating to come on unless I first switch it to Winter mode, which is very inconvenient at 6am on a Sunday morning.

Reply to Ideal Logic Combi 30 - pump only keeps activating for 4 mins. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Got up on Wednesday morning no hot water, (only cold water coming out of hot tap). Checked boiler, it had zero pressure and F1 fault showing. So I refilled the pressure using the filling loop, up to about 1bar which is where it usually is, which worked fine, had hot water all day. Same thing...
Replies
Views
J
Hi I have 8 months old ideal logic + combi boiler. When I checking "Super Efficiency" reading on the LCD display is 51% only. How to incest efficiency of boiler? Ideal Logic + C24 and Ideal Halo 2 OpenTherm wired thermostat .
Replies
Views
W
Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange issue relating to my Ideal Logic Combi 35 which has recently started displaying a F2 error when trying to use the central heating system. The boiler works fine when using hot water, however when I try to turn on the central heating system the boiler works...
Replies
Views
Williams25
W
Hi. I have an issue with my Ideal Logic+ System S24 boiler which I hope someone can help with. Below is as much detail as I can think of. The boiler has been running constantly (cycling?) 24/7 for the last few days, during the recent very cold snap and since. HW and C/H are running fine, as per...
Replies
Views
T
I have a Ideal Logic Combi 24 and the engineer to who comes to service says there is a design fault. It is not a question of if it will fail but when. Apparently the heat exchanger develops a pinhole leak and has to be replaced. Always in the same place. Known about for years. Design has not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock