Search the forum,

Discuss Constant Lockout issue with Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler rather than a more modern condensing boiler and the Ideal Concorde was specified.

Unfortunately it been unreliable from the start and like Triggers broom has had more parts fitted than his broom has had heads and handles

In November 2022 it developed another fault. The boiler kept tripping the ELCB and it turned out to be a faulty??? ignition board that was replaced by our normal heating service engineer. After working for a while the boiler failed to light and we found the fuse on the new Ignition board kept blowing. I finally tracked this down to the leads going to the ignition coil which had touched the heat exchanger, melting the insulation causing a short. I put some insulation sleeving on these and taped them up and the boiler started working again. Hence the question marks after the faulty ignition board which we were charged for. It's more likely the short that I found was causing the problem.
After a few weeks of working normally the boiler again developed a fault. This time the lockout button kept tripping. When reset the boiler would try and ignite generally successfully but often with an explosive ignition they blew the front cover off the boiler!!! At this stage when reporting the fault the Service Engineers said we needed a new boiler. Not very helpful as we were right in the middle of all the Christmas festivities with the Village Hall in constant use.
They finally came out again after Christmas and fitted a new Gas Valve and flame detector probe. Initially the boiler lit again although the first ignition of the heating cycle was still explosive it continued until the timer switched off. This went on for about a week but didn't fix the problem as it began to lock out again.

I called them out again and despite the engineer saying he still thought it was a mixture problem I told him I thought it was related to the ignition and I asked him to remove and check the electrodes which he did. He found that one of the electrodes was bent and straightened it but said the connection of the leads was iffy and ideally needed replacing.
Since then they have not returned to fit new leads and we are now in dispute with them over the number of parts fitted without fixing the problem.

We want to replace the boiler but need to save up enough funds so need to keep it going until the end of the heating season and believe the fault should be able to be fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what parts might be faulty or need checking. For example there are two ignition electrodes. Does the spark travel between these or from the electrodes to earth. Perhaps the gap is all wrong now. Also where is the high voltage spark created? I assume it s this in the spark generator secured to the gas pipe leading to the burners rather than the ignition board itself?
We are tearing our hair out over this problem. Being classed as a commercial boiler we are limited locally with Gas Safe qualified engineers who can work on it. I have now put in a call to Ideal Heating for a call back from their commercial boiler department but as I am not a Gas Safe engineer I doubt they will talk to me in any detail.
To clarify we have no intention of carrying out any work on the boiler ourselves (we would probably void our insurance if we did) I am just looking for experience/suggested areas to pass on to the service engineers who are trying to fix the issue

To clarify your intentions of not playing, when you state you have!
True but It was done under the instructions of the heating engineers as they couldn't get to us for a week and he did check what I had done on his next visit. Also I don't think wrapping a bit of insulation tape around a wire constitutes major works especially for a qualified electrician. I am just not gas safe qualified

As far as getting another engineer we have tried numerous. They are either too busy and not available for weeks or as soon as we say its a commercial boiler they say they are not qualified.

They suffer with weak spark / problems lighting you need a good earth so if in a damp environment it might be better to run a separate earth tag to the pilot assembly and make sure the spark is in the centre of the pilot assembly

And spark components are cheap so not worth messing about just replace leads and probes would keep an old concord rather than a new boiler

Good Boiler in my opinion, keep it as long as possible.
This boiler is pretty straight forward for a commercial engineer. They do have a few known issues that come to mind especially with ignition side but they aren't difficult to work on or repair normally. More often than not it isn't a part replacement job.

I know you know this but you do need an experienced commercial heating engineer.

They suffer with weak spark / problems lighting you need a good earth so if in a damp environment it might be better to run a separate earth tag to the pilot assembly and make sure the spark is in the centre of the pilot assembly

And spark components are cheap so not worth messing about just replace leads and probes would keep an old concord rather than a new boiler
Many thanks for this I have passed this information to the engineer along with some tips from the guy I spoke to on Ideal Heating Technical helpdesk.

Good Boiler in my opinion, keep it as long as possible.
This boiler is pretty straight forward for a commercial engineer. They do have a few known issues that come to mind especially with ignition side but they aren't difficult to work on or repair normally. More often than not it isn't a part replacement job.

I know you know this but you do need an experienced commercial heating engineer.
Many thanks for replying. We chased our engineer and he has finally returned and replaced the electrodes and leads, and as mentioned above to Shaun I have given him a lost of things to check including checking the spark gap and current in the flame detector.
It lit first time without a bang this morning so fingers crossed. Also once we resolve the billing of the unnecessary parts they have fitted we will look for a more experienced engineer. Unfortunately, to date, they have been very hard to find locally as all the ones we have contacted are only gas safe qualified for domestic boilers. The boiler is a 40Kw with a gas supply pipe of 32mm and I thought even domestic boiler engineers could work on systems up to 77Kw? To clarify the gas meter only has a 22mm connection but the pipe run of about 10m immediately after the meter was upgraded to 32mm because of perceived pressure drop when the boiler was installed.

It depends on the setup, if it’s a commercial boiler, then it needs a commercial engineer, regardless of the pipework setup. If it‘s a domestic boiler with domestic sized pipework in a commercial building, then domestic qualifications will apply. It’s 35mm pipework up to 70Kw net. There’s another thread on here with this very discussion.

Thanks, Sorry meant 70Kw. Have been looking at EVs and got 77Kwh batteries stuck in my head. I believe as outlined in the thread you pointed me to, the manufacturer has listed this boiler as commercial so it needs a commercial engineer then.
Yep, definitely. Speak to Ideal, see if they will offer a maintenance plan, or just use Ideal until you can source an engineer, or use Ideal for future breakdowns?

Yep, definitely. Speak to Ideal, see if they will offer a maintenance plan, or just use Ideal until you can source an engineer, or use Ideal for future breakdowns?
Thanks some good ideas. Just as an aside if we changed the existing boiler to a teamed/cascade setup with say two 30Kw domestic condensing boilers does that change the situation regarding qualifications? Is this treated as two domestic boilers in a commercial setting or do you look at the whole installation? We are looking to make changes to the whole heating system due to the age size/weight and surface temperature of the rads in our main hall. We are reliant on heating for our hall to be available to users and I know some places like GP surgeris use two or more boilers in parallel so they always have a fall back.

Reply to Constant Lockout issue with Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock