Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal Logic Combi 30 - pump only keeps activating for 4 mins. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH.

When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as infrequently as once an hour, so it's pretty inconsistent. These episodes only occur with the boiler set to Winter Mode (HW & CH) and not when set to Summer Mode (HW only).

When these pump run episodes occur:

The burner does not ignite,

I can hear water running through the radiators, which remain cold,

The display shows 0 and is free of codes,

Zero HW and CH demand,

Hot water preheat is also switched off,

DHW & DCH working fine when actually commanded.

The Grundfos pump failed early last year and it was replaced with a generic replacement as it was a mid-winter emergency and it's all the engineer had to hand on a Friday evening. I did wonder if this generic pump could be at fault as I don't recall this issue prior to replacement but I believe the pump can only operate if commanded by the boiler PCB.

The boiler is located in the house and thus doesn't have an external frost stat, although I beleive the Ideal Logic uses the return flow thermistor for frost protection in the absence of an external stat. I also believe a faulty thermistor would give a code if faulty or fire up the burner if it thought frost was a potential issue, and it's not firing the burner, just running the pump.

The only other change since the pump was replaced is the addition of a Honeywell R8810 Opentherm relay as I already had Evohome running with a BDR91. Opentherm works fine plus I can't imagine this would be running the pump without firing the burner if faulty.

Any ideas as I'm at a loss as to where to go with this - the only thing I can think of is a faulty PCB as the PCB fuse had to be replaced when the pump failed and blew it? I'm just a home owner with little knowledge, so fingers crossed the more knowledgeable of you might have an idea what's going on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Our Logic Combi also runs for a couple of minutes a night. I think it may be some kind of preheat or frost protection. Strangely, ours has only started doing it since it was serviced. I have known other boilers to do this too and it is most annoying if the boiler is next to a bedroom.

Our Logic Combi also runs for a couple of minutes a night. I think it may be some kind of preheat or frost protection. Strangely, ours has only started doing it since it was serviced. I have known other boilers to do this too and it is most annoying if the boiler is next to a bedroom.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe these boilers run a brief anti-seize cycle every 24 hours but this might only apply if the boiler hasn't operated in a 24 hour period. I'm guessing this is what yours is doing when it runs for a couple of minutes.

I could live with once every 24 hours but the pump on my boiler runs for exactly 4 minutes and this can happen as frequently as 5 or 6 times an hour or as infrequently as once every several hours or so.

I have resorted to switching the boiler to Summer mode when the heating is off but this means I can't schedule the heating to come on unless I first switch it to Winter mode, which is very inconvenient at 6am on a Sunday morning.

Reply to Ideal Logic Combi 30 - pump only keeps activating for 4 mins. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock