Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Getting older in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierrot

Gas Engineer
Mentally you are more experienced but Im pushing 60 now and physically Im finding it more difficult to manipulate with my fingers as they get stiffer trying to put small screws and fixings etc Into small dark holes I can no longer see., not to mention the eyesight
its a bugger.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget about your knees or back,

oh the joys of getting old!!

Mentally you are more experienced but Im pushing 60 now and physically Im finding it more difficult to manipulate with my fingers as they get stiffer trying to put small screws and fixings etc Into small dark holes I can no longer see., not to mention the eyesight
its a bugger.,

fair play for still doing the job at 60!

Im self employed & can't imagine doing the job when I get older! It killing me as it is!

Funnily enough the knees and back are ok, but I do a lot of cycling in my spare time, so that probably helps.

me and you both pierrot ive just done a combi swap on my own today and came home saying i wont do that again i used to fly through a job like that but now i need steps to get on and of the work top a torch to see in the cupboard all add to the time it takes

I do star jumps while working and cartwheel up stairs then take payment with my feet while doing a hand-stand. If I have a job over the other side of the Mersey I swim there and back.

Mmmm. Getting older. These days i just think of surviving until i draw my pension

When i was young and working with older guys i would joke with them about having to pull them up and all their aches and pains they complained of and they would say one day it will come to you too.

They weren't jesting.
I have aches and sore bits in places i didn't know i had and my body is fkd.
Looking at me you would think i'm pretty fit.
6ft 2 16 stone 34" waist 46" chest no belly and look the part BUT i know i'm done in. Knees done, hands done, back done. All par for the course that will come to most in this trade if you do it long enough. I honestly don't know where the romance comes from for anyone wanting into this game. As usual the people advising them know nothing and the teachers (the good ones who know a bit) got out of it before it killed them.
It will kill you one way or another!
Some time in the early 90's i was working on a job and they had some occupational nurse woman come on who tested us in different ways to see how fit we were. One of the tests was to grip and squeeze this dyno thing. I registered one of the strongest grips she had ever had which apparently meant i was as fit as a fiddle and a bit of a stallion (probably the rubbish chat i was giving her) .
Now i can hardly squeeze a plook ((pimple)its my fingers that give way) and the stallion takes a bit coaxing. My hands are swollen and arthritic, i no longer think about my knees as i constantly know they are there, i've got these pains inside me i should maybe see the doc about but his advice won't pay the bills and a back that reminds me every day i shouldn't be doing this anymore, my lungs burn climbing more than 2 flights of stairs.
The pains keep me awake at night and i rarely sleep for more than 4 hrs.

It is not that bad really. I live with it as i have little other choice but its a pig!

As you get older you realise money means very little.

me thinks tamz is dreaming with 34" waist and 46" chest and 16 stone wheres all your fat redistributed itself, must be moobs if its not on the waist:), my scales say Im 15 stone and the waist is 38!! and 6foot tall, yet according to hospital thats obese aaaaaaaaaaaagh

Its all muscle LP but just not as strong as it looks. I,ve got arms like popeye as big as my biceps.
Last time i was at the doc (she loves over us oldies , more cash in us) she did that BMI rubbish and said 29. something means i'm obese but obviously it doesn't apply to everyone. No shyt sherlock. Where did you get your degree. She also said i should stop smoking and eat bananas :lol:

Its a wonder we get to retire after a lifetime of inhaling flux vapour, lead from wiping and all that burned old paint with arsnic in it......makes me feel ill just thinking about it..........oh and then there is the full in the face rush of fragrance from the stack when changing a pan.....ooohhh yeah

When I was 30 I wanted all my work to last 70 years. Now I am closer to 70 I am content if my work lasts 30 years .But why do most boiler designers appear to be in their 90s.

Becuase they are german and ruled by the euro....they actually are 90 cos they cant retire til they are 95. Long live the pound.

Didn't know Baxi Bahamas and Worcester Hi Flows come from Germany but may the Pound grow strong against the Euro then we can afford Vailliants & Viessmanns that should at lest see me into my 80s

Thank you for reminding me that the old System is failing as the years drag on.

We should rename this the grumpy old farts thread.

Thank you for reminding me that the old System is failing as the years drag on.

We should rename this the grumpy old farts thread.

I'm definitely grumpy and an old fart, but will still be dragging my old arse to Glastonbury for the festival in June.

And off to jump around like a geriatric teenager at a Punk Festival.

Anarchy in the UKPF!

My old Dad used to say you are as young as you feel and as old as your feet well Dad if your listening My feet are killing Me lol regards turnpin

My old Dad used to say you are as young as you feel and as old as your feet well Dad if your listening My feet are killing Me lol regards turnpin

actually your only as young as the woman your feeling, since mrs p is the same age as me that makes me still 59.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting older in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Hi I fitted a bath/shower 12 years ago and a few months ago it developed a leak. It was basically at a coupler on 40mm solvent where my new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hi all! I'm hoping someone or many of you, can give me some advice please. We have an Ariston Combi Boiler installed in 2004 (I found the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock