Search the forum,

Discuss Gas System Boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kwisatz78

Hi

Currently I have an oil fired open vented heating and hot water system with 2 water tanks. Recently we had gas connected to the property and I am wanting to switch over to a Gas system preferably sealed heating and hot water system.

As I want to do this in stages, is it possible to get the boiler switched over to the open vented system first, and then change the tank setup at a later date i.e. are there system boilers out there that can do a open vented and sealed system?

Thanks

Yes that should not be a problem, although they have all the kit for sealed systems in the boiler they can be used on open vented there are a few things that will need to be sorted out on site e.g. height of F&E, how clean the existing system is & existing pump etc.
It may be easier to use a heat only boiler which can be installed on the open vented & can then be converted over when you want to a seal system by adding a sealed system kit.

Hi there thanks for the reply.

Only knowing what I have read about this, if I go for Heat Only then won't I have extra components taking up space like an expansion vessel? Would a seal kit remove the need for the expansion vessel in that case?

Also do you have any recommendations for boilers and a sealing kit?

Actually thinking about it, it might be more cost efficient just to get the whole system changed over at once meaning the plumber wouldn't need to come back at a later date to get rid of the tanks?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the expansion vessel & other bits have to be located elsewhere but as they are not inside the boilers the heat only tend to be smaller you also have a choice as to where they are installed (with in limits) the sealed system kits include all that is required for a sealed system & this will indeed include the vessel as well.
The kit has to be sized to suit the system.

Hi there - to add to my woes it looks like I am on a one pipe system to, although turning off one rad does not turn off the whole system so the rads must each be on their own circuit. The heating system does get hot, is it necessary to replace all the pipe work to? Also what do you think to this plastic pipe you can get now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas System Boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
I think the last discussion was back in 2021. A few questions to guide any discussion. Which are the cheapest to heat over the year, system or combi in an average 3/4 bed property? Which will be the more reliable and cheapest boiler type to repair over the next 10 years? Is there a better...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a Nest controller. I’m familiar with the old gravity and pumped hot water systems and the new direct systems but not with sealed systems. Recently...
Replies
Views
My daughter bought her first home and was hoping to convert to gas but its not available in the area, so thinking a boiler upgrade is the better way to go. Just after some advice and rough costs involved, is it worth getting a pressurised system installed and a new boiler and oil pump? Heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock