Discuss Gas Pipe buried in floor kitchen. Best practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad_stoke

Gas Engineer
Anyone recommend best practice to lay a gas pipe (15mm) in middle of a kitchen for cooker before the floor is layed with screed.
Customer is having a cooker in middle of kitchen and requires a cooker point. Thanks in advance.

Lay it clip it wrap it up to protect it and make sure there is a minimum covering of 25mm.

Plastic coated copper with no joints in the screed is best. I comes in reels. Or trac pipe.

Protect it with what? And also will elbows and complaints be ok with the screed layed in future as its a long run more than 3m so will need a coupling.. Will that be ok?

Last edited:
You can use denso tape all the pipework in the screed . All joints must be soldered not compression.

I know this sounds silly but if you use denso tape. . How are u supposed to clip the pipes before screed is layed.

mines wrapped in denso, covered with sand then screeded over 25mm.
no clips as not necessary

Yeah I will do tightness test etc before I use the denso tape. So clipping the pipe is not necessary? I always been told u have to make sure pipes are adequately clipped etc. Anyone else done this on prev jobs? Thanks for all your replied guys.

just buy a roll of 15mm cu tube coated i plastic, no joints no worries as you just got 2 ends, hate denso, and you know thee wont be leaks unless you damage the pipe

i may think of steel capping bedded into screed if i were to do mine again!!

dont need clips as thats just 'securing' cased in screed does that!

just buy a roll of 15mm cu tube coated i plastic, no joints no worries as you just got 2 ends, hate denso, and you know thee wont be leaks unless you damage the pipe

Oooo didnt know you could get 15mm copper pipe roll with plastic coating
..... Or is that the track pipe you are refering to?

Last edited:
You can still get plastic coated copper [yellow] in 6 Mtr lengths so again no joints under floor
Think coil is only available in 25 mtr length

Last edited:
So what about gas pipe clipped to floor, covered with kingspan (grouved out) then screed.

So what about gas pipe clipped to floor, covered with kingspan (grouved out) then screed.

Gas Pipe still needs to be protected, it is laying on concrete , minimum amount of joints, again coated copper or trac pipe, or steel , but don't think its required to be clipped down

Ok I've decided to use pvc coated copper pipe but do I need sleeve it aswell for movement etc when it is layed... Will there be any movement in ground once the screed is layed and dried

Ok I've decided to use pvc coated copper pipe but do I need sleeve it aswell for movement etc when it is layed... Will there be any movement in ground once the screed is layed and dried
No, sleeveing only required if in concrete, have you not got this information in your reference books ? [installation of pipework]

8.8 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors
Installation pipework shall not be buried in concrete slabs.
8.8.2 Rigid stainless steel pipework shall not be buried in concrete screeds.
Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.8.3
Suitable methods of protection are as follows.
a) Pipe laid on top of base concrete and subsequently covered by a screed (see also 9.2.1).
b) Steel or copper pipe installed into preformed ducts with protective covers.
c) Steel or copper pipe fitted with additional soft, non-permeable covering material. The coverings should be soft and thick enough to provide movement yet resilient enough to support the concrete cover while it is setting.
The covering should be at least 5 mm thick and resistant to concrete ingress which would negate its ability to allow movement.
Reference should also be made to 9.2.1 for the application of adequate corrosion protection.

8.8.4 Pipes passing vertically through solid floors shall take the shortest practicable route and shall be sleeved (see 8.10).
8.8.5 Compression fittings shall not be buried in the structure or below ground.

9.2 Buried pipework
9.2.1 Internal environment
Pipework that is buried in a solid floor or wall shall be factory sheathed, or protected on site by wrapping or with suitable bituminous paint protection.
The entire section of pipe and fittings to be buried shall be protected. Any sheathing or wrapping shall be examined for cuts or other defects and made good prior to use. Joints and fittings shall be cleaned, and wrapped or painted with bituminous paint after the satisfactory completion of a gas tightness test.
Galvanized or painted pipes shall not be buried without additional protection as specified in the previous paragraph.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 9.2.1.1
Protective measures are applied as a precaution against electrolytic and/or chemical corrosion. The use of factory bonded wrapping or sheathing is recommended.

9.2.1.2 Where installation pipes are to be buried in magnesium-oxy-chloride cement or magnesite flooring, they shall be of copper with a factory bonded sheath and jointed with copper capillary fittings.
Bends and joints shall be further protected by wrapping with a suitable plastic tape. All surfaces shall be clean and dry before the additional protection is applied with a minimum 50 % overlap to provide at least a layer of double thickness.

Last edited:
Thanks alexgas. Thats fantastic. Saves me looking for the G1 pack which is somewhere. In the house. Thanks

The one time I had to lay gas pipe under floor I wrapped it (after tightness test ofcourse) then used pipe lagging for any movement, worked a treat I think. Would definitely use this method again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pipe buried in floor kitchen. Best practice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock