Search the forum,

Discuss gas fire builders opening. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smtplumbing

I have removed an back boiler and replaced with a combi customer has bought a fire marble etc. Now the builders opening is much bigger then the new fire do you gets get the bricky in or do you fit the sheet mable right to the wall without making the builders opening shorter

Depends on the type fire. Builders opening must be made good where old pipes went through the chimney breast. All tightly sealed. Marble tightly sealed to front of opening. Only two holes allowed, the one at the front and the one up the chimney.

As long as its sealed then the maximum size does not matter, its the minimum size which does matter.

As Reg Man mentioned, make sure the marble fireplace is cemented onto front of builders opening and catchment completely sealed. Then fit your fire.

Stick marble to wall and put some breeze blocks up the back of them marble, stops the stress on the marble when you cable tie the fire back

best to brick up to size of marble if suitable, stops heat stresses/chance of damage on the marble, sometimes a catchment area being to big can cause flue performance issues.

the bbu was prob on a slab, so will need some building work anyway, so just do it propa like.

Stick marble to wall and put some breeze blocks up the back of them marble, stops the stress on the marble when you cable tie the fire back
Breeze blocks are not approved material for chimney openings, unless you render them with a minimum 25mm deep, of strong cement mix.

best to brick up to size of marble if suitable, stops heat stresses/chance of damage on the marble, sometimes a catchment area being to big can cause flue performance issues.

the bbu was prob on a slab, so will need some building work anyway, so just do it propa like.
as aw said brick work up to the marble to stop stress cracking from heat ,how we do it purpose brick chamber in a u shape all round,at the sides of the chamber at the top cement forming a slope so debris falls behind the appliance ,sometimes a lintel is required to seal to the top of the marble

Tapered gather into the flue from the builders opening. minimum 12 litres of space for the catchment area.

I normally do get my builder in the Fire Shop Company said na dont need to builder to do any work, cowboys, customer wants a new liner put down rather be safe then sorry i just want it done correctly, So would you guy fit a flue box or plate at the bottom of the liner

Flue box and liner is a sensible option. That's what I would go with. Long term, no debris easy service, less risk.

I normally do get my builder in the Fire Shop Company said na dont need to builder to do any work, cowboys, customer wants a new liner put down rather be safe then sorry i just want it done correctly, So would you guy fit a flue box or plate at the bottom of the liner
would only liner if the flues shot,if its a typical 6 or 8 pot set up would do a flue flow test and check it only exits one flue if it exits more than one mid feathers(divisions between flue ways)have failed and lining is the only option if your to proceed with gas

Reg man best place to get flue box

Gas man customer has had movement in the house before it is pinned i said about a flow test but wants a liner

That's good then. It will eliminate any worries having it lined. Just cost a fair bit more on the job.

Put the price in and give them an alternative without if you think the old chimney is up to it.

Hmm,if they have already had a fair amount of movement remember with the liner, give a disclaimer on the chimney stack incase its shot.

i once got up and could rock it without exerting any real force.
Whole thing got re built.

If in doubt line it. Structural as in if it may fall down is a different story. But you have not said so.

If it were me I would get the chimney swept and do a thorough flue flow/smoke test. If the flue is sound then give them both options, I would only go down the liner route if necessary. Just bear in mind that if you go the starter box route t can make it tricky to fit a fire with concealed cable fixings as you won't be able to fix the eye bolts to the inside of the box..... Unless you get some real long ones that will go through the box and into the masonry behind, assuming the opening isn't too deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas fire builders opening. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock