Search the forum,

Discuss Gap around the hole flue exit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello there

Quick question: I have installed a new boiler today. The engineer is foing ro back tomorrow.

The boiler is in the conservatory mounted on the wall. The flue pipes exit from top of the boiler through a round hole to outside the house.

There is a big gap around the hole and wondering if this is how it should be or should I ask him to plug the gap?

Also he has installed the gas pipe (gas meter to boiler) outside the house. Should I ask him to insulate or any put something on to protect from any kind of damage?

Thank you.

Any pictures of the boiler and hole ?

Nothing attached that I can see ?

Sorry try now...I am using my phone to upload

Attachments

• 20211006_205831.jpg
    20211006_205831.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 42
And outside ?

Thanks all.

Just waiting for the engineer to turn up now.

I haven't been outside yet to see how it looks - but I can see neighbours house through the hole from mine!
I will flag that up with him.

Also I have noticed there is water on the floor boards under the kitchen sink. This only started yesterday. The cabinet does not have leak in it so I am not sure what he did yesterday for this leak to appear - Any ideas?

Thank you

Thanks all,

I am waiting for the engineer to turn up.

I haven't been outside yet but I can see the neighbors house from inside and will flag that with him.

Also I have noticed there is a leak under the kitchen sink and only started yesterday. There is no water within the cabinet itself so I am not sure where the leak is coming from. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20211007_101435.jpg
    20211007_101435.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 22
The engineer has turned up.

He is going to look at the flue exit.

I raised about the water leak - I changed from a standard system to combi boiler.

He says that it is because of the water pressure has changed that has caused the problem and he is going to try and fix the pipe issue under the sink.

I am also noticing the toilet tank pours in real fast. I am slightly worried that pipe inside might have burst somewere. He says if there is a problem we would notice it by now but then again there is a chance that there may be problem that could come up in future. I am not really sure what to do? I am clinging on to the hope I have house insurance so incase if the pipe burst in future inside that walls I could just use that. Any advise you can give me please?

Has the whole house, probably excluding the kitchen tap which should already have been mains, been changed from tank supply to mains?
If so and if the toilet(s) was previously on a tanked supply it will now most likely need a restrictor in the inlet pipe.

It may be beneficial that you wait until the job is complete before you start flagging these items with us.

For most people here, we know that things don't get done in a day and leave things to the next day.

I'm not sure where you are coming from or what your motives are, but coming onto a forum with nitpicking issues, prior to a job being completed, leave me wondering.

As for the leak, I doubt it is an issue with the hole left around the flue on an incomplete installation.

But wherever its coming from, if it not visible inside the cupboard, the cupboard will have to be removed.

Hi all, thank you for your response. I just wanted to get advise from the experts as a secondary opinion for the job that was being done by my engineer. I have no motives expect that I just want to make sure that I am not being fooled and not very technical when it comes to this type of things. It has costed me ÂŁ3000 to have this installed which is a big amount for me so wanted the job to be completed so no issues leading to further costs.

The leak under the sink was identified by engineer. It was to do with high pressure from the main supply and the pipes started to drip. He has tightened something on the pipe and not seen the leak after that today. The gap around the flue exits was also sealed by the engineer - the boiler outlook doesn't look presentable as the previous ones was inside the cupboard and due to the size of the new boiler the cupboard had to be replaced which is understandable.

The main thing that concerns me is the water pressure from the mains to the pipes with the new setup means there could potentially be a leak in the future or even may be now inside the wall. The engineer has said that this can't be guaranteed but it is unlikely to happen.

My engineer was fantastic with his work overall, finished the job as best as he could or atleast is what I think now.

You need to take a chill pill bud it's not unusual to get a few teething problems when changing a system over , we would only be guessing as to what the leak relates to ? but it will be corrected the toilet inlet valve will need a restrictor to slow down the water entering the cistern. Kop

Reply to Gap around the hole flue exit in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock