Discuss Flux inside or outside capillary end feed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. Stuck half my piece (sandwich to non Jocks) down a inch main today. The whole of Alloa could here me shouting and screaming not nice things at a bit of pipe. The joys of plumbing.
i'm glad you clarified that for us non jocks lol

Also, is it correct to solder with the flame or take the flame away when the pipe is hot enough then apply the solder and let it do the business?
You can do this, but usually better IMO to reapply heat again. I love it when the solder forms & stays a nice high solder ring on top of fitting. Great when it is somewhere on show. How sad am I? :smile:

Me too. Stuck half my piece (sandwich to non Jocks) down a inch main today. The whole of Alloa could here me shouting and screaming not nice things at a bit of pipe. The joys of plumbing.
I never heard you in Kent Road. Probably drowned you out at the time shouting at the boy for getting on my wick.

I was too stressed out to give you a shout btw.

Was in Castle Street Tam installing a storage tank. Pity we never met up. Next time.

Once you've had a session of soldering around 30 fittings you soon learn what method(s) suit you.

Anyone else brush their fittings and nearby pipework with flux (then a wipe with a cloth) after applying the solder? Solder goes grey (or occasionally black) but pipe comes out lovely and clean.

No?

Thought it might just be me ...

I flux the fitting only, using the end of the solder to apply the flux. I know you should apply to pipe, but if its already clipped to the wall its a right carry on, plus I always flush after and never had a problem. So middle finger up to the rule book.... Last time I used a brush I went through a phase of getting leaks which i'm convinced was dirt on the brush getting into the fitting. As soon as I binned the brush and went back to my old ways, no leaks!

Also If I think an old bit of pipe is going to give me grief, I tin the end first then wipe, then make up joint and crack on, always works.

I once had a guy work with me who cooled his fittings with flux. That one really annoyed me. I wondered why he wanted a new lb of flux after 3 days. I thought he had lost it. Next day i saw him using it to cool the fittings so i sacked him just for that the next day :lol:

plus it stinks the house out and sets off all the smoke alarms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux inside or outside capillary end feed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys Bit of frustrating situation, I was preparing to solder a 15mm Tee by lining it up to get the positioning right, etc and it was quite...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, a couple of months back I installed a new shower and sink into a part of the house that hadn't previously been plumbed in. This forced...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock