Search the forum,

Discuss Flux inside or outside capillary end feed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John_

I know this is prob personal habit but when soldering which is better - flux inside or outside, i.e female end or male end? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, - on the pipe, & then you won't fill inside of joint with flux, but you can put a light film of flux inside fitting if you want. Turn the fitting or pipe when pushing together, if you can, to aid even spread of flux.

Thx guys, had a debate with an engineer who flux inside which I thought a bit unusual but now I know who's right. Initially I thought personal taste but now I know which side I am on. Thx. :)

Outside pipe on smaller pipe, 28 and above both. Not quite sure why but have always done this.

i was taught by a old school guy who made me clean both pipe and fitting with wirewool and flux both pipe and fitting also. very very rare i get a poor joint or even a untidy joint, i use "no korode" flux i think its the same as the old uni flux, very sticky but good and doesnt rott pipe like the other stuff can, takes a little longer to clean fittings but its the way i was taught and im swear by it! but its all personal really people have there own methods for everything, i always give a system a good flush though due to fluxing inside the fittings :)

Flux should go inside the fitting and on the pipe. Twist the pipe as it's inserted into the fitting to distribute the flux evenly and use flux sparingly.

Pegler Yorkshire recommend this for Endex and Yorkshire soldered capillary fittings.

Pipe and fitting for me. Always have done but "they" say you should just do the pipe to prevent flux getting into the pipe. This is fine in theory but as said it gets in anyway. Just don't spread it on with a trowel.
Your choice of flux may be more important than where you put it.

which end of the flux brush do you all use to apply the flux ?

the hairy end or the round handle ?

Never used a flux brush ....... well i have and binned it/them. They apply far to much for my liking. Fingers (not really recommended) or the end of the solder for half inch and smaller. Never even as much as a nip in a cut but i'm probably immune to laco.

And don't forget to keep adding a little flux, as you solder, by dipping end of solder wire in flux.

solder :) which end of the pipe/fitting you apply it , on the side where your flame is or opposite ?

me toooooooooooooooooooo and sent steve to the van for the wet vac , even i know it will not take i still end up waisting 5 min trying before i sent him for wet vac

solder :) which end of the pipe/fitting you apply it , on the side where your flame is or opposite ?
Close to flame, but if hot enough, opposite side also, but as I am sure you know well, not necessary to solder all round, as heat & flux will do the job in a caplilary fitting.

Last edited:
I usually start swearing if i've got some water there.
Me too. Stuck half my piece (sandwich to non Jocks) down a inch main today. The whole of Alloa could here me shouting and screaming not nice things at a bit of pipe. The joys of plumbing.

i apply opposite site and it does matter as to make sure that fitting/pipe is up to temp as otherwise if fitting/pipe is not fully visible it might not go all the way round

Also, is it correct to solder with the flame or take the flame away when the pipe is hot enough then apply the solder and let it do the business?

i apply opposite site and it does matter as to make sure that fitting/pipe is up to temp as otherwise if fitting/pipe is not fully visible it might not go all the way round

Yes, agree, if solder flows at back of fitting, opposite side to flame, then you know fitting is heated & thus soldered fully.

Me too. Stuck half my piece (sandwich to non Jocks) down a inch main today. The whole of Alloa could here me shouting and screaming not nice things at a bit of pipe. The joys of plumbing.
i'm glad you clarified that for us non jocks lol

Also, is it correct to solder with the flame or take the flame away when the pipe is hot enough then apply the solder and let it do the business?
You can do this, but usually better IMO to reapply heat again. I love it when the solder forms & stays a nice high solder ring on top of fitting. Great when it is somewhere on show. How sad am I? :smile:

I never heard you in Kent Road. Probably drowned you out at the time shouting at the boy for getting on my wick.

I was too stressed out to give you a shout btw.

Was in Castle Street Tam installing a storage tank. Pity we never met up. Next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flux inside or outside capillary end feed? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock