Search the forum,

Discuss Fitting a Bathstore My-time 635 basin and pedestal - Advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sullivan

Hi Guys,

I am installing a new bathroom and on-suite. I need to fit a basin with a pedestal on a Karndeane floor with a tiled wall. The wall is a stud wall with an 18mm plywood patress behind the plasterboard. My questions are as follows: -

1. I purchased a 'Fischer' WD8 X 100 wall mounted basin kit for fixing washbasins to solid walls. Is there a similar kit available for fixing the basin to a stud wall, or should I just use what is provided without the wall plugs.
  2. Should the basin be bedded on say 'plumbers mate' or anything similar where it rests on the pedestal?
  3. Should I put a couple of dabs of silicone on the back of the basin to cushion it onto the tiles just before final fitting. What is the standard practice?
  4. Would you recommend I put a couple of dabs of silicone beneath the pedestal on the flooring as there is no fixing for the pedestal to the floor.

Advice appreciared as I want to do it right first time.

Thanks,

John.

use the fixings you have minus the plugs youll need to pilot drill the board and ply personally i dont use anything behind basins just a bead of silicon along the join after its all up
provided you get basin up right pedistal shouldnt move as it will be held down by fit of basin id only use silicon if it was loose and then sparingly most china is a good fit nowadays
idealy the weight is on the ped and the fixings stop it all pulling away from wall get it all up in place level and mark the holes in the basin with a short pencil

Last edited:
I would agree with steve on all the above but perhaps a line of silicone on the inside of the pedestal, if you can get in there, just in case bottom is accidentally kicked.

I would agree with steve on all the above but perhaps a line of silicone on the inside of the pedestal, if you can get in there, just in case bottom is accidentally kicked.

ill take that as a compliment ive seen how good your boiler houses are lol

Use 2 M8 Stainless Steel coach bolts, tighten with a socket wrench or spanner into the wood in the wall. Slip a small cutting of plastic pipe over the threads in the basin hole t prevent damage to the ceramic.

Never ever, rely on silicone as a adhesive to hold up something as heavy as a basin. Basins have screw holes in them for a reason. I loathe removing a basin that has been stuck to a wall with silicone as usually half the bloody tiles come away with it!

Silicone is a sealant, not a glue.

Thanks guys for the advice. Completed the job everything went perfect. I bought the bathroom suites from the Bathstore about a year ago. The stuff is not bad quality and generally am happy with it. One comment I would make is the design could certainly be improved upon from an installers point of view. The narrow gap in the basin pedestal means you have to do all the plumbing with the basin loose and then fit the pedestal beneath the loose basin and then tighten up after leaving one waste connection to secure as a final job. Fitting the fibreglass panel around the corner jacuzi bath was also a fiddly job and could have been made simpler with more advice on the fitting instructions like filing the top flange to make it easier to push onto the clips and cutting around the pipework with a 4" angle grinder with a diamond disc which worked a treat.

Thanks again guys!

Regards,

John.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fitting a Bathstore My-time 635 basin and pedestal - Advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock