Discuss Filling loop position other than under boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cascas

On a boiler without a integral filling loop, can the filling loop be fitted in a location other than beneath the boiler?

ie if space is tight for boxing boiler, can the loop be fitting under the kitchen sink, rather than under the boiler.

Yes. Comman thing in persimmon homes

Just has to be in sight of pressure gauge

Yes if out of sight of gauge on boiler put second gauge next to fill loop posistion

Last edited:
yes, if its very remote its a good idea to put a sticker on the boiler stateing the position. Could save you a call out if customer vents rads or decorates and cant find it and also helps engineers out in future.

Handy to do,when boiler is in the roof space,plus custard can keep eye on system pressure ............maybe a good place is beside toilet roll holder........so as they sit there having a boo,wondering what to do....... can top up system pressure to 1.2 :smug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Found the blighters in loft spaces before now and possibly one solution not considered on a UK forum.
A pressure reducing valve connected to the mains supply, set at 1 bar feeding the heating circuit.
Never need to top up again until the PRV fails.
Water regs aficionados may complain but if a double nrv is fitted would there be a problem???

Found the blighters in loft spaces before now and possibly one solution not considered on a UK forum.
A pressure reducing valve connected to the mains supply, set at 1 bar feeding the heating circuit.
Water regs aficionados may complain but if a double nrv is fitted would there be a problem???

I've thought about doing exactly that mountainman, regards reducing valve :) Commercial use automatic pressurisation units that keep system pressure with fail safes that reduce the chance of an open end scenario!! :)

Two issues as far as I'm concerned.

1. Doesn't comply with water regs.

2. If a leak develops the constant ingress of fresh water will lead to accelerated corrosion and possible premature boiler failure. Better to sort a minor leak now than replace the boiler in a couple of years.

1. I've not got my guide indoors but it's something to do with it needing to be a non permanent connection.

2. If it doesn't leak it won't need topping up. If it does leak then the drop in pressure is a warning.

I've used a pressure reducing valve on a filling loop to keep a large system pressurised whilst I filled it.

I'm just winding you up, I know the regs but I've worked in countries where no one has come to the slightest harm because a filling loop has been permanently connected via a PRV, even this overly PC and HSE obsessed one.
How long will it be before we need to provide a CRB check to get GS registered???

Had a job the other day, filling loop in attic of bungalow, access in middle of house, boiler in garage, so had to fill then run over and check, then fill, run over and check, i.e. if this was a big job, I would of got customer to keep eye on it, but what a pain.

It's got to depend on the quality of your water. If it's hard and keeps replenishing you could end up with a seriously scaled primary heat exchanger.

Two issues as far as I'm concerned.

1. Doesn't comply with water regs.

2. If a leak develops the constant ingress of fresh water will lead to accelerated corrosion and possible premature boiler failure. Better to sort a minor leak now than replace the boiler in a couple of years.

Have seen some light commercial systems filled in this way with a RD-11, air break can be got around by use of the correct RPZ valve.

Though personally i would rather know that the system need filling regularly

Double check valve is not possible with a permanently connected loop, however the prv suggestion can be used in a domestic installation with a type CA disconnector backflow prevention device making a permanent connection.

Seen this carried out as a last resort with a difficult to trace leak, although its not really the done thing.

Jon

Agree Jon
But what would be the alternative, a new installation.
Ok if cust can afford it!

If you're leaving a loop connected permanently through any sort of device to make up water lost through leakage I'd class that as a contravention of part G2 of the building regs. With current water shortages I can see the local water authorities wanting to clamp down on this sort of thing to take the focus away from their abysmal leakage rates.

I would be with Mike jackson on this one. We recently visited a small development 12 houses brand new all with prv's on the heating. Turned them off and 7 were losing pressure in less than 4 hours. I can see the use for commercial but still at the end of the day you are better doing the job right. oh and on this occasion by the time the builder was finished he had closed the plumber down. The water in the rads was red and that was only 4 months after completion what would the life expectancy be for perforated rads and pump fails. but then if plumbing work was checked at each stage and completed correctly then i would be out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:

RE Reasons NOT to plumb in a pressure reducing valve connected to the mains supply !

2 of my reasons restricted damage to my wallet .

1) the damage the leaking water could do to my home .
2) Not wanting Boiler to self harm , flushing inhibitors away silently
3) Not wishing my Gas Safe Boiler to Electricute me instead !

One of advantages of a sealed system ,was a limited reserve of " Dirty Water ! "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Filling loop position other than under boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock