Discuss Filling loop position other than under boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cascas

On a boiler without a integral filling loop, can the filling loop be fitted in a location other than beneath the boiler?

ie if space is tight for boxing boiler, can the loop be fitting under the kitchen sink, rather than under the boiler.

Two issues as far as I'm concerned.

1. Doesn't comply with water regs.

2. If a leak develops the constant ingress of fresh water will lead to accelerated corrosion and possible premature boiler failure. Better to sort a minor leak now than replace the boiler in a couple of years.

Have seen some light commercial systems filled in this way with a RD-11, air break can be got around by use of the correct RPZ valve.

Though personally i would rather know that the system need filling regularly

Double check valve is not possible with a permanently connected loop, however the prv suggestion can be used in a domestic installation with a type CA disconnector backflow prevention device making a permanent connection.

Seen this carried out as a last resort with a difficult to trace leak, although its not really the done thing.

Jon

If you're leaving a loop connected permanently through any sort of device to make up water lost through leakage I'd class that as a contravention of part G2 of the building regs. With current water shortages I can see the local water authorities wanting to clamp down on this sort of thing to take the focus away from their abysmal leakage rates.

I would be with Mike jackson on this one. We recently visited a small development 12 houses brand new all with prv's on the heating. Turned them off and 7 were losing pressure in less than 4 hours. I can see the use for commercial but still at the end of the day you are better doing the job right. oh and on this occasion by the time the builder was finished he had closed the plumber down. The water in the rads was red and that was only 4 months after completion what would the life expectancy be for perforated rads and pump fails. but then if plumbing work was checked at each stage and completed correctly then i would be out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
2. If a leak develops the constant ingress of fresh water will lead to accelerated corrosion and possible premature boiler failure. Better to sort a minor leak now than replace the boiler in a couple of years.

RE Reasons NOT to plumb in a pressure reducing valve connected to the mains supply !

2 of my reasons restricted damage to my wallet .

1) the damage the leaking water could do to my home .
2) Not wanting Boiler to self harm , flushing inhibitors away silently
3) Not wishing my Gas Safe Boiler to Electricute me instead !

One of advantages of a sealed system ,was a limited reserve of " Dirty Water ! "

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Filling loop position other than under boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back