Discuss Fibre washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geoff Peace

I have been searching for fibre washers for taps for a long time. I have scoured the internet for a company selling them by size but no luck other than to have them made specially at over £1 each! The sizes I need are 24mm inside diameter, 28mm to 29mm outside diameter and 30mm inside diameter, 34mm to 36mm outside diameter. Around 1 to 1.5mm thick. I need about two dozen of each size. Can anyone tell me where to get them at a reasonable price. Any advice gratefully received.

Regards Geoff Peace.

My reply does not seem to to have printed! Try again. I have some old fashioned taps and the washers seal the tap body to the base/outlet. I do not want to install new taps as my wife finds them very easy to use as she has very little 'grip' due to to surgery. I have all the other spares for them I just lack the fibre washers.

Regards Geoff Peace.

unsure why you need to seal the base to the outlet

The base is the bottom of the tap the outlet is at the end of the tap, different ends

Any pictures?

There are lots of taps on the market for assisted living

Most plumbers merchants sell packs of different size fibre washers have you tried them

B&Q do an attachment that fits on to the end of tap handles to make them very easy to turn.

You can use loctite 55 in place of fibre washers if you can get a few wraps around it. Done it many times and works a treat.

Thankyou for your replies everyone. I have tried plumbers merchants, engineers suppliers, been through numerous selection boxes without success. A friend of mine suggested posting on a plumbing forum so here I am. I would have thought that there would be a company somewhere selling them by size, in increments of say 1mm but no luck! I have had a quote to have them specially made at a cost of nearly £60. I am determined to keep these taps, they are very old but the chrome finish and the weight of them is far superior to the taps of today, In my opinion anyway. And they can be rewashered, I just need the fibre washers which fit between the upper and lower part of the tap! If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have been told to use PTFE tape but I am not very familiar with its use and would like to stick with the fibre washers if I can. Lastly, Nat what is Loctite 55? is it similar to PTFE tape or is it a permanent sealer? as I would need to rewasher the taps from time to time.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Hi Geoff,It's a type of sealing tape. Looks like string and comes in a roll. Wind it around the little spigot where the washer normally sits. About 8 to 10 wraps should do it. Pick it up in a plumbers merchant. It's not permanent. Will just pull right off. I normally use it on tap connectors if I've lost the fibre washers. Give it a go mate- you've not got much to lose!Nat

If their really old taps, I'd be inclined to Google a tap refurbishing company, send them a photo and ask if they can help, chances are their be more helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fibre washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, Recently I received an unusually large water bill which led me to the discovery of leaking flush valves. I have two toilets and it turned...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm stuck and in need of some help. I have a leaky French style kitchen mixer tap that requires replacement rubber washers. Believe the...
Replies
Views
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with an old stopcock (40 years?) fitted on the old alkathene supply pipe. This is in a property owned by an elderly friend and...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I found this site whilst spending my third day trawling the internet looking for a simple thing such as fibre washers. Or...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock