Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Fernox IC-20 Cleaner - OK on domestic CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iandb

We use this product at work and was wondering if I can use this at home on my CH system. If yes do I just remove some water from the small tank in the loft and add a suitable amount of the cleaner into the tank.

This stuff is 'designated' commercial and is a de-scaler and sludge mobiliser pre-treatment prior to
large scale flushing operations. It maybe that its ok to drop some into your F & E tank and then
drain off 1.5x the volume of the tank to introduce it into your heating system.

You dont say why you want to do this and maybe its just because its free (I would think like this) I is NOT an inhibitor so will need taking out quite soon after introduction.

Beware if you dont do this properly you could raelly screw up you boiler if is a newish one. I
would wait for some more advice from the collective wisdom - Croppie 'is commercial' and might know how strong this stuff is - he is back later

Centralheatking

Centralheatking; would wait for some more advice from the collective wisdom - Croppie 'is commercial' and might know how strong this stuff is - he is back later Centralheatking[/QUOTE said:
I never knew Croppie was commercial... Learn something new everyday ;p

Thanks for the reply.

Have had on going heating problems with rads in general, not getting hot and some not coming on at all.

The system has not had any thing done with it since we've been here (10 years) and no idea about before then. The system has been drained a few times to change a couple of old rads by us but we've not added any thing into the system to maintain.

Was looking at getting some one in to power flush it through and saw several threads about using various additives to clear it out instead (Cheaper DIY Option first) and as we use the IC20 here at work thought I might be able to borrow some.

Will look again and see what other products are suggested on here.

Yes pal, it's a rebadged fernox F3, safe for Ali heat exchangers too, follow instructions and add F1 when done

sounds like you really need an engineer out to look at the system? if it has mirco bore pipework it maybe a time for a part or new system. Even if you powerflushed it wont solve the problem of rad that dont work if its due corrosion.blockages.

I wouldn't chance it on ali hex's. Fernox IC20 is primarily designed for use on cast sectional boilers. As such it's pretty aggressive.

I wouldn't chance it on ali hex's. Fernox IC20 is primarily designed for use on cast sectional boilers. As such it's pretty aggressive.
Nah John safe on Ali, same as F3 it can be used as commissioning treatment too for Flux etc, treat, flush clean, add F1 or CH3 if you get that free lol

Thanks again all. We do actually use both the Fernox F1 & F3 here for our cooling systems. The IC20 was an old bottle.

Do not think we have microbore as it looks as though we have normal 15mm copper pipes

IC-20 was replaced by F3 in 2009.

There must have been a good reason for this - possibly to make it suitable for ss and ali hexes?

Nah its just a commercial scam, so they can charge more for 500ml bottles so they change the names!

And, of course, you have proof of that???!!
Eeerrrrr yes not hard, downloaded the relevant COOSH sheets in the past, same stuff

IC 20 used to say on it suitable for all metals, maybe Ali is not a metal then?:bucktooth::bucktooth:

for the OP I would just use F3 then you are assured it is fresh, as incorrectly stored chemicals go off, especially if subjected to frost

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fernox IC-20 Cleaner - OK on domestic CH system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock