Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss fair rate for level 2 plumbing sub contractors? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomtom

Hi,

I have an expanding business and don't know what is the going rate for plumbing sub contractors.

We're currently paying £150/day but I can't help thinking this is a bit steep? Hourly rate for employed plumbers looks between £10-£12, so app £88 per day.

I know subbies will want more as they are last minute and don't get sick pay etc, but I think £150 is perhaps too much.

Any ideas???!!! Examples of recent (i.e last 3 months) day rates received or paid to subbies would be good please!

Cheers :)

Well the going rate of employed plumbers is £10 an hour because they dont have the massive overheads of running a business as I am sure you are aware of ! £200 a day is good £150 is a steal if nothing leaks, I mean realistically £88 is what I would expect for a morning maximum as self employed can make that with two small jobs in one morning. Pay peanuts expect monkeys imho If the subs have half a brain they will learn to dictate the going rate or just turn it down.

Ouch! Not much to be made on subbies then! We are thinking of making the jump to employing full time if all goes well after the VAT increase. Not sure why our current subbies would want to work for us permanently on less than they get for 3 days now though?!

Well, where are you based? inner cities are a lot more then more rural areas .

Rural Leicestershire, we are at the high end price wise as well charging £35/hour plus VAT.

Not everyone can generate work on their own, especially those who aren't established. I can make £100 before noon on my own but I can also go 4 days without my phone ringing. A good run of full days of sub work for £88 a day wouldn't be something I'd sniff at.

Going rate in Bristol for a subbie is between 100 and 120. If you got your gas it's 130ish! 5 years ago it was between 150 and 200!

Going rate in Bristol for a subbie is between 100 and 120. If you got your gas it's 130ish! 5 years ago it was between 150 and 200!

That's what I thought! :cool: thank you. Will dig around a bit more. Work is hard to get in our area so we do have several options for subbies so I think I'll be OK to offer £120 if I get that confirmed elsewhere.

Minimum bare rate for a subbie up our way is £18.50/hr You have no overheads on that, it is a flat rate. They supply tools transport and workmanship guarantee etc.

Employed you may only pay £11 or 12/hr but you have other costs. Add in NI, pensions (if you are a decent employer), holidays etc and your cost is around £16/hr then you provide transport and fuel tools and insurance and it gets to around £20/hr

Any subbie worth a shout will not work for less than £150/day.

Hi. Be cautious with expanding during these times. I recall the vat rise when 8 percent the black economy flourished. The loyalty of subies on jobbing work is well short of employed persons, and can lead to them offering their services to your clients. Unless you intend to manage full time it may not be the money spinner it seems. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fair rate for level 2 plumbing sub contractors? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock