Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss F & E Tank, open vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

Good Morning

I am surprised by the amount of sludge that collects at the bottom of an F & E tank, i would have thought that sludge would have settled more at a low point rather than a high point. Just out of interest is it just sediment being carried around in the circulation of the water and it just get trapped up there ?

That sediment in the f and e is usually debris from air in the attic and other bugs that may have got in over the years

That is unless it's a rusty colour, in which case you need to take prompt action!

The F & E tank has a cover although some dust and bugs from the loft can still get in. The surface of the water has a scum on it which i think might just be where the water stagnates in the tank, dead bacteria. I siphoned the water out it was a bit black but not jet black like oil. When i had removed the water i got to a layer of black sludge at the bottom of the tank which i know is magnetite, i wiped all of this out, the level of the sediment was just below the outlet from the tank down into the heating system. I am just surpried that the magnetite had settled at a high point, i thought it would have settled lower down but i suppose there is a circulation going on lower down in the system and the sludge in the loft tank has just gotten there as part of that circulation ?

Take a look at your CWSC, its probably the same if they've been in for years then you'll expect debris and sediment

Sometimes goes jet black if a mouse falls in and rots!

Water level when cold should be about 10cm from the bottom of the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to F & E Tank, open vented system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock