Search the forum,

Discuss Electrical fault advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'd just finished a bathroom this afternoon and was walking out the door when the downstairs lighting circuit tripped and refused to re-set. I had just finished swapping the room thermostat so Im worried it's more than a co-incidence. It's a newish house so I don't think I've drilled a cable when fitting the WC. I had to leave it but I'm worried I'm going to get a call. Any ideas?

None - just changed the room thermostat - a straight swap. It was working. There's no sign of drips and if I drilled a cable it was at least an hour before it tripped.

Possibly - why should the thermostat affect the lightling circuit - they're not linked are they?

it could be earthing out somewhere.
if it were me, i would take the stat of, put the screw back in and test the screw for voltage, and of course check for dammaged wires near the case screws.
if not, it may not be your problem.

The new stat is only a two wire job with no earth. Would that matter? Surely the thermostat is linked to the programmer which is then linked to the boiler circuit not the lighting

As redsaw said, you might have screwed into a cable. Check first at the WC remove screws one at a time then try reset trip. Thermostat might not be the problem, sounds just live in and switched live out( sure there's no unused neutral curled up somewhere behind the wallplate). Does the CH still work with the trip off?

Just joined and posted a question and noticed this,I'm a sparks.
Check whether the boiler is on the same circuit as the tripped lighting circuit,if it is then i'ts likely to be something you've done changing the stat,if not i'ts not your problem as long as there are no other cables around the stat.

Cheers Guys,

It turned out to be a faulty strip light (the ballast) and a faulty (new) thermostat. The sparky fixed it in no time. At least it wasn't me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Electrical fault advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock