Discuss drop fed radiators not being drained down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nobbyone

I have been asked by my landlord to clean my (his) central heating system in our rented bungalow. I thought, OK, I just need to drain it down, add the cleaner, leave for the recommended time, fill and drain a few times. But I tried to drain it once and found that some radiators are fed from above (both feed and return pipes coming down from loft) which would not drain with the the other radiators. My questions to the old & wise:

1) Should all radiators that are 'drop fed' (not sure if this is the right term) have drain valves attached to their pipework?
2) Can I suck all the radiators through using a cheap as chips drill pump?

Cheers.

1) Yes - once you have drained down change one valve on each rad for ones with integral drain offs.
2) You can try but I wouldn't. Crack the valves open in turn and drain into buckets.

Yes, I am being paid in 'piece of mind'.

I work as a handyman and electrician and find that most landlords that I do work for will not do any maintenance on their properties.

They will react to 'broken', 'leaking', 'dangerous' but not to 'heating is too noisy' or to 'rotten' or even 'it will save you money in the long term'.

Would sucking the water out of the circuit work in theory? What would be the worse thing to go wrong?

All you have to do is for each drop fed radiator when the rest of the system is empty is

1. open the knuckle joint a bit and let the water from the rad into a large paint tray
2. open the bleed valve on each rad to get the rest of water out.
3. When all clear change one end on each rad with a combined valve and
drain off.
4. Refill carefully and check for leaks
5. Get another home with a decent landlord who maintains his property
properly - this attitude on his behalf is a discrace.
6. New legislation will soon outlaw 'cowboy' landlords and in fact take their
rentals off them if not maintained and improved to established standards.

centralheatking - a responsible small landlord amongst other things

not sure how a government can take property off its rightful owner, can understand they can ban him from renting it though, but cant see this a being overly successful when there is a shortage of properties out there and councils dont have any money to spend on rented property let alone privately owned ones . All in all more government BS

not sure how a government can take property off its rightful owner, can understand they can ban him from renting it though, but cant see this a being overly successful when there is a shortage of properties out there and councils dont have any money to spend on rented property let alone privately owned ones . All in all more government BS
compulsory purchase for 50p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drop fed radiators not being drained down in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back