Discuss Cordless SDS drils in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_D

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I am going to get a cordless SDS drill.
What do you have/recommend?
I am looking at the makita 18v, Dewalt 18v and bosch 36v all £350-400.
I dont have any other tools that that go with these kits so will eventually get more to go with it.

I've to the makita set, for the price your going to pay for just the ads drill it might we worth looking at.

I've got the 18V makita. I find it a really handy tool. But light duties only. Use mine every week.

It would be mostly be for 7mm holes, the odd 12mm
Thanks I will check out the kits

Milwaukee m18 . Mine smashes 22mm through two skins. Stitch drill flues and all the rest. No nonsense 3 year warranty / 2 years on batteries ( mine are 3 years old and still work a treat ) all computable tools have same warranty. It's almost on par with Hilti but 30% cheaper.

the smaller makita is fairly good for small holes, the dewalt is very powerfull and the milwaukee is the dogs.

if you need to drill some larger holes then get the big bosch 36v. You can get it for around £430.

if you plan on buying extra tools then id checkout the ranges of the 18v's and decide what you think will suit your need best.

Milwaukee HD18HX-32 M18 Heavy Duty SDS Hammer Drill

milwaukee at a good price

[DLMURL="http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/bosch-gbh-36-vf-li-36v-sds-hammer-with-quick-change-chuck.html"]Bosch GBH 36 VF-LI (2 x 2.6 Ah, QCC, case) Li-ion SDS+ hammer with quick change chuck[/DLMURL]

bosch with quick change chuck

if you choose dewalt get the newer version ( dch253m2) its better then the older model.

if you want a cheap alternative, but great drill then you can get the 24v hitachi.
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/hitachi-d...teries-p7772?gclid=CKiF1sHLxLoCFUrJtAod-HgAeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the bosch 36v, had it since it was first released and it's been a good tool. Not problems and can put 30mm holes in brick with an 18mm pilot nicely. I've used the 25v hitachi quite a bit as well as my old work mate had one. Its a good drill, not up to 36v performance though.

both would be OTT for 7-12mm holes though. I still use the mains drill for most bigger holes mind, but its good to have a cordless capable of big uns when you need to drill from outside in without the leads etc, or mixing plaster !

never used milawakee gear, to be honest my bosch has lasted so long and my Mikita lxt 18v drill has done a few years as well I've long really needed anything else? The XR dewalt stuff looks like good gear though.

The 36 volt Bosch is to heavy for hanging rads and fixings, but great for 3/4" in masonry. Plus I knackered mine in three years. I've got the metabo 24 (I think it's 24) s far so good. Would like to try Milwaukee next.

For 8mm / 12mm holes, this one:

A.E.G. Power Tools BBH18L3P SDS Plus Hammer Drill 18 Volt 2 x 3.0Ah Pro Li-Ion - Power Tools, Drills - Cordless, Hammer Drills 18V to 23V

I've got this and a matching drill/driver. 3AH lithium batteries, fast charge and last for ages. I've drilled 30mm in brick with this and it's deal with it with no drama, but it's light and small enough for all-day use drilling rawlplug holes for hanging rads, pipe clips, etc. Lovely bit of kit. 3-year warranty as well, and if you shop around you can get it MUCH cheaper than that link - it was the first I came across, just to show you the machine..

I'm gonna start pacing myself again using one of these after all time is money :wink:
rawlplug tool.jpg

You weren't even in your dads loins when i first used one of those Simon :lol:

There was also a thing like this without the chuck
z-522-manual-drill_4_d.jpg

hammer drill circa 1970
I've still got one lying in an old tool box probably up at my ma's.

Oh what bliss it was when i got my first 7volt Makita . No more numb hands. No wonder i've got the white finger(s) :smile:

That was the apprentices job too and if you knocked holes in the walls you got your rse kicked :lol:

There is actually a knack to doing it and no matter what anyone says it wasn't easy going. One inside with the bath on your back gripping either the taps or your claw hammer through the overflow hole and the other guiding the tail.

Milwaukee M28 is better value than the M18 as it can be picked up for similar money and its much more powerful than the bosch 36v

Milwaukee M28 is better value than the M18 as it can be picked up for similar money and its much more powerful than the bosch 36v

Smaller range of tools, not expanding and doesn't look like they will support it for much longer

Doesn't matter really. The sds is a standalone tool. Does anyone who has the 36v bosch have any other tools for those batteries? Doubtful.

Doesn't matter really. The sds is a standalone tool. Does anyone who has the 36v bosch have any other tools for those batteries? Doubtful.

I am going to get a cordless SDS drill.
What do you have/recommend?
I am looking at the makita 18v, Dewalt 18v and bosch 36v all £350-400.
I dont have any other tools that that go with these kits so will eventually get more to go with it.

m18 can handle a 30mm hole if you put a 20mm through first.
cheaper to go m18 all the way if you're going milwaukee

Disagree! I got my M28 for £508 with a free combi drill, which I then sold for £170 naked on eBay. Making the superior drill £338 with a 2 batteries, case, kit bag and free torch.

How much is the M18?

That said, if you're buying a combo kit, with the sds included, obviously that makes sense. Don't forget it's a fairly new tool and my M18 stuff must be almost 4 years old.

Disagree! I got my M28 for £508 with a free combi drill, which I then sold for £170 naked on eBay. Making the superior drill £338 with a 2 batteries, case, kit bag and free torch.

How much is the M18?

£299 for the m18 with 3ah batts.

the m28 is alot more money now. When i got mine i got the same deal as you but kept the combi drill to drill 6" holes in floors.

£299 for the m18 with 3ah batts.

the m28 is alot more money now. When i got mine i got the same deal as you but kept the combi drill to drill 6" holes in floors.

At the time I bought that, the M18 was £500! Bloomin heck

Jesus! I got mine for 320 ish . Apprentice 'b' got impact driver 2 3ah batts and sds drill for 360. Tool monkey in Devon are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cordless SDS drils in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock