Discuss Condensing soakaway pit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viper Gas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello All,

I hope every one here is well.

Has anyone here made a soakaway pit as a terminal for a condensate pipe?
If so can you give us a few hints on how to do it. I am about to do one next week and would like to get it right first time.

cheers

DD368

Last resort really, fill them with lime?, lyme? (sp?)chippings

Thank guys,

As alwasy your opinions are very helpful.

So i think using the soakway kit will be a much easier option compared to trying to run the condensate behind all the kitchen units in the SECOND floor flat.
I intend to run the condensate down the outside wall and into this soakway. Because of the severe weather in recent years i will run about 1/2meter of 22mm plastic pipe, and then change to 40mm pipe, then into the ground back to 22mm and into sockaway. Of course I will insulate.

Any opinions on this, if any are welcome.

Thanks and have a profitable week guys.

Regards
DD368

You should consider doing it internally even if it means using a pump. If you are pumping it the hose can be run around the bottom of the units by removing the kickboard.

If as a last resort you need to use a soakaway do the external run in 40mm (including through the wall) and keep it as short as possible. Do not reduce it back to 3/4" to connect to the soakaway. A McAlpine soakaway will take a 40mm pipe. You should lag the pipe too but you will struggle to get 40mm lagging. No one keeps it.
Dig a hole at least 500mm deep x 300mm wide and 500mm away from the building. Get a bag of lime chips and line the hole with them then sit the soakaway in and connect it. Then pour the rest of the lime chips around to cover it completely.

common mistake is to fill the pot with lime chippings. As Tamz says, lime chippings on the outside of the pot.

I've done this for a pair of sequensed external boilers. Got some advice from Grant.

Bit of advise to you. Buy your limestone chippings from Wickes not your plumbers merchants. About ÂŁ6 a bag difference.

Anyway I'll post a picture. I dug a hole about 500mm deep. Lined the bottom with chippings about 4" deep. Then inserted a heavily drilled (3mm drill) section of soil pipe. Then backfilled with limestone chippings all around that. The blanked the top and run my 40mm waste (fed by the two Grant boilers) to it. Finally I lagged it, my merchants held the lagging in stock (Drakes, Tunbridge Wells).

Its easy, good luck mate. 12.jpg11.jpg
pencil.png

mm,

I would love to keep it internal but i have to go under a cooker too, this is why I am thinking the external route. Anyway I have time to decide while i am on the job, it is still a possibility. meanwhile I will look into the pump.

Cheers lads for your time taken to answer and respect to Danny pipe for putting up he photos, that was ace mate.

Regards

DD368

Last edited:
What about running it to surface water using a Condensafe Neutraliser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensing soakaway pit in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for some advice on my little bathroom project. I took the bath out. I got a shower jacuzzi thing. The base has 2 wheels in the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock