Search the forum,

Discuss compartment ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammydodger

Gas Engineer
at what point does a compartment become a tiny room? might seem a silly question but it makes a big difference in vent requirements.

A compartment is a area that is not a habitable space

However I would class a house that my x wife lives in as not habitable but there you go

Small enclosures/areas like w/c rooms or cloak rooms ect are not usually classed as compartments but compartment requirements should still be considered in these areas and of course follow m/i at all times
If are having to think about it ,always best and advisable to swing towards the compartment requirements :)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol had this scenario so many times. gas safe say if u can fit a chair in there next to the boiler n sit on with the door closed then its habitable. i went for the safe option.

under 5m3 is a dimension that springs to mind as a compartment, but as already posted it can also be about the usage, compartment ventilation is to allow the compartment to cool down a real requirement if the compartment is never opened, however if the boiler is in a new build box room this could be under 5m3 haha, but is likely to have the door opened a lot more frequently

also a very good point. iv never seen any dimensions given in any text. such a cloudy area for something which could be deemed perfectly safe or at risk.

I think that 5m3 was a BG thing that's become a rule of thumb. Bit like the 5% +/- on gas rates.

My underdstanding is that a room is designated a compartment if it has been specifically designed to hold a gas appliance only. That works on the commercial side of things.

A compartment is an encosure specially used to house a gas appliance. If any doubt, rule of thumb it is bellow 5mÂł.
More or less word for word.

Can anybody point me to where the 5m3 comes from please! I've flicked through viper book and ige/up/10 and can't find a specific size for a compartment ?
That brings it back to op!

Can anybody point me to where the 5m3 comes from please! I've flicked through viper book and ige/up/10 and can't find a specific size for a compartment ?
That brings it back to op!
BS 5440-2 'Minimum permanent opening free area' table, the smallest room area is <5mÂł on the table. My interpertation is this is a compartment. It is the smallest volume you are given details for.

The current BPEC Gas Safety Training Manual states that it is a "rule of thumb that a compartment is less than 5mÂł".

i see where your coming from graham.
looks like another to be added to the 'grey' area - "interpretate is as you see fit and face the consequences yourself, we wash our hands of you" type rules.
happy days.

Love that one the rule of thumb. I usually treat rooms that do not have an opening window as compartments and that is pretty much how I work.

A compartment is a area that is not a habitable space

However I would class a house that my x wife lives in as not habitable but there you go

Blimey! We both divorced from the same woman? Does her mother still flit around in the dark making squeaking noises? :eek:

I've always treated anything under 5m3 as a compartment but until reading this thread I couldn't for the life of me remember why, and to be honest never really gave it a lot of thought. I don't come across them often in the commercial game.

What does worry me though is the amount that is left as "rule of thumb","common practise","your interpretation" and so on. Scary Thoughts!

Wonder if there's any openings in the IT market now they're all becoming plumbers!

Last edited by a moderator:
this is another one of those gas regs that could be made simple but they wont as it keeps people i jobs explaining things and why our registration is so high lol. I have seen houses with purpose rooms just to house boiler and cylinder and these are classed as compartments and they are bigger than my living room at home.

ant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to compartment ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock