Discuss Combining feed and vent piping from F and E tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Thank you all for your replies and advice. I will go with the combined method (with inclined feed pipe) for now and see how it works out.
I do however have a question on the "traditional right way" as Last Plumber reccommended. What difference does it make if the feed enters the pipe to pump from the bottom rather than top?
[automerge]1597767805[/automerge]
I think I have the answer to my own question....so that any transient air bubbles escape through the vent rather than feed..

Last edited:
The loop you mention is to limit the amount of heat lost up the cold feed.
Sealed systems can still sludge up if not installed properly and without the neccessary means to vent trapped air and dissolved oxygen within the water

Agree with improper installation especially the expansion vessel which is often installed with the filling pressure equal to the pre charge pressure thus leaving no reserve and leading to frequent top ups but also encouraging IMO,that friend of the rad manufacturers, the Auto fill PRV where one has no idea of any developing leak.
Of course the same can be said of the F&E tank with ballcock fill, I have a isolating valve on mine and keep this permanently shut except to check for any leaks by opening it a few times per year and in over 40 years I have yet yo hear it adding a drop of water, strange?. I also have a combined cold feed and vent installed when new, the vent is carried on up over the tank, I still have some of my original installed rads.

Attachments

• Combined Cold Feed & Vent..JPG
    Combined Cold Feed & Vent..JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 17

Reply to Combining feed and vent piping from F and E tank in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi guys Is it normal for the cold feed pipe from the f&e tank to be combined with the open vent? The cold feed connects to a 22mm tee one end is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I...
Replies
Views
Hi so I changed a towel radiator in bathroom from a normal radiator. I bunged the f&e tank and vent pipe , drained about a pint of water out the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock