Currently reading:
Cistern filling

Discuss Cistern filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OZZIE

I have recently had my bathrooms refurbished. Both toilets were replaced. Apparently they have been connected to the mains supply (previously gravity fed) in order to speed up the filling sequence. However, when the toilet is flushed, at the end of the fill, there is an almighty 'thump' which can be heard throughout the house. The installer tells me it is due to the new valve arrangement suddenly shutting off, whereas before with the ballcock type, it closed the inlet off slowly. He has said he will look at adjusting the water pressure (via in-line s.o.v?) but that this will slow up the filling process
Frankly, I'm not happy with this - I do not want to know when someone has flushed the toilet when I'm sitting in my living room!
One bathroom has a 'ZETO' toilet but the really noisy one is a 'ZADINO' .

Also, the fill sequence is very loud - can this noise be reduced?

by popping a PRV - pressure reducing valve on your incoming mains and setting to 2.5 - 3.0 bar you will have plenty of pressure and the cistern will adequately fill with no sudden noise when it stops

The float valve should have come with little spiral inserts as well, one with the grooved spaced closer than the other this is to restrict the flow slightly and stop the thonk...check that it has indeed been fitted into the body of the valve

installer decided to play about with the s.o.v. on the inlet line!
All he has done is turn the sov to restrict the flow into the tank - he has managed to stop the 'thump', but it now takes about 20 mins to fill the tank and is even louder than before!!
I've told him this is not acceptable!!

No idea macplumb, all under the floor now.
Unfortunately this isnt the only problem weve had with this company - the whole experience has been a nightmare - supposed to be a 15-17 day job to refit two bathrooms - started on 10th MAY..still going on!!!!!!!

The problem with a lot of sanitaryware now being fitted is that it is imported with fittings suited for different setups in different countries. Did you supply the ware or did the plumbers/fitters?
If supplied by them, get them to fit another ballvalve suited to your pressure as you are not happy with it. There are a few to choose from.
If you supplied the ware i'm afraid it is down to you to supply an alterate valve and probably pay to have it changed.
Why did they change it to mains feed if presumably you still have tank fed also?

Tamz

everything was supplied by them.
No idea why they changed to mains - it was all done and floors etc back in place before we knew anything about it.
As I said before, we have other problems -including noisy taps (they were not noisy before!) - which they claim is all because of the mains pressure.

If your taps are noisy too you may have a high incoming pressure and as oldplumber said easily and cheaply fixed by fitting a pressure reducing valve just after the main stopcock. It will cost them about £25 for the valve and half an hour at most to fit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cistern filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock