Search the forum,

Discuss charging for jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kyle87

im a novice in the plumbing world but i must say im learning fast.

my ambition is to be a self employed plumber......and trust me i will achieve this and do everythingican to become successful and i dont care what people say ie. 'why do ya want to be a plumber theres no work out there' well my answer to that is that there is work out there just not for you because instead of looking for it, you here moaning to me about the lack of it. rant over lol.

so my questions for today are.....how do you price your jobs. how much? what for and why

obviousily the subject of 'how much do you earn is sensitive

id like to be talked through a few scenarios

some one calls you to come out and price a job up.....do you charge for the quote

when you do the job do you charge per hour plus parts

when someone calls in an emergency.....do you apply a callout fee if your there for 5 mins

when someone calls in an emergency......do you apply callout charge and hourly rate if your there for a few hours.

im learning more about the trade every day and cant get enough.....

please can can you provide me with as much info as possible on the matter to help me build a realistic picture of how im going to do it all in a few years.

many thanks

Bit tongue in cheek but i'll answer them

my ambition is to be a self employed plumber......and trust me i will achieve this and do everythingican to become successful and i dont care what people say ie. 'why do ya want to be a plumber theres no work out there' well my answer to that is that there is work out there just not for you because instead of looking for it, you here moaning to me about the lack of it. rant over lol.

so my questions for today are.....how do you price your jobs. Usually time based with a bit of the going rate in there how much? depends on the work and if i want it what for to keep the wolf from the door and why i sometimes ask myself the same thing!

some one calls you to come out and price a job up.....do you charge for the quote
I'd love that one to be a reality but it won't happen. Depends on the sector you work in and the type of work you do. You'll probably spend as much time pricing jobs for free with no results than you will spend actually doing the ones you get.
when you do the job do you charge per hour plus parts
Usually a fixed price but some on an hourly rate. Again it depends on the type of work. Some work by its nature cannot be fixed price. The sensible ones (customers) with jobbing stuff would usually be cheaper with an hourly rate. I don't have time to mess around so its in and out job done and i'm fast but if they don't know me they (for obvious reasons) go for a fixed price. I don't mind either way.
when someone calls in an emergency.....do you apply a callout fee if your there for 5 mins
I don't do call outs but set a minimum charge if you do.
when someone calls in an emergency......do you apply callout charge and hourly rate if your there for a few hours.
As above. If it is an out of hours call take a call out charge which covers the first 30 minutes or hour depending how you want to work it then your (premium) rate. Calls during the day usually no call out but work it to suit yourself and your market.
I had enough years ago but i'm still at it!
please can can you provide me with as much info as possible on the matter to help me build a realistic picture of how im going to do it all in a few years.
You'll learn :wink:
many thanks

so my questions for today are.....how do you price your jobs. how much? what for and why Depends on the size of the job, it's either hourly rate for small jobs or day rate for larger jobs. My rates are twice what a lot of local guys are but I'm more than twice as fast so the customer is getting a better deal with me.

some one calls you to come out and price a job up.....do you charge for the quote As Tamz said it's not possible to charge for quotes but be strict on your definition of a quote. I had a customer a couple of weeks ago ask me to give her a quote to repair her heating system and I told her that it would cost her £40. She queried this and asked why i didn't give free quotes but I advised her that it wasn't a quote as I needed to spendmy time diagnosing the fault before a could give a cost.

when you do the job do you charge per hour plus parts and a percentage on top of parts to cover call backs in case of manufacturing faults.

when someone calls in an emergency.....do you apply a callout fee if your there for 5 mins Yes

when someone calls in an emergency......do you apply callout charge and hourly rate if your there for a few hours. Yes

many thanks

You come across as a bit cocky in your posting, be wary of this attitude in the real world as it will alienate you from merchants and other plumbers and you nver know when you are going to need their help.

my advise is make your own mind up while your out there in the real world doing it

Asking alot of leading questions about earnings and charges ! are you a spy for HMRC ??

So you're going to hoover up all the work we can't be bothered to chase and set the plumbing world alight but only after we've told you how much we charge? That's a classic lol

Good luck.

some one calls you to come out and price a job up.....do you charge for the quote No

when you do the job do you charge per hour plus parts Depends on the job, somethings like servicing are fixed rates others an hourly rate, parts always extra

when someone calls in an emergency.....do you apply a callout fee if your there for 5 mins I should but depending on who and where mostly don't charge

when someone calls in an emergency......do you apply callout charge and hourly rate if your there for a few hours. Just nomal charge

many thanks

As above

charges
Mon-Friday
7am-6pm
Mon-Friday
6pm-12am
Saturday
7am-12am
Sunday
7am-12am
Mon-Sunday
12am-7am
are per hour£80£130£130£140£200
One hour minimum charge then in 15 minute units. Some work can be carried out on Estimate/Fixed Price.

• Airlocks
    • Ball values
    • Bathroom refurbishment
    • Bidets
    • Blocked toilets, sinks pipes & drains
    • Burst pipes
    • Floods
    • Gutters & downpipes
    • Hot cylinder installations
    • Hot water problems
    • Immersion heaters
    • Kitchen refurbishment
    • Leaks
    • Overflows
    • Pipework replacement
    • Plumbing installations
    • Pumps
    • Radiator & values
    • Repairs
    • Saniflo repairs & installs
    • Showers & pressure adjustments
    • Stopcocks
    • Tap repairs & installations
    • Thermostat problems
    • Toilet repairs & installs
    • Unvented water cylinders
    • Waste disposals
    • Water heater repairs &installs
    • Water tank installs
    • Wet room refurbishment

I would set your charges around the above, should be on target for £60,000 by the end of the month

Last edited by a moderator:
chargesMon-Friday
7am-6pm
Mon-Friday
6pm-12am
Saturday
7am-12am
Sunday
7am-12am
Mon-Sunday
12am-7am
are per hour£80£130£130£140£200
One hour minimum charge then in 15 minute units. Some work can be carried out on Estimate/Fixed Price.
    • Airlocks
    • Ball values
    • Bathroom refurbishment
    • Bidets
    • Burst pipes
    • Floods
    • Gutters & downpipes
    • Hot water problems
    • Immersion heaters
    • Kitchen refurbishment
    • Leaks
    • Overflows
    • Pipework replacement
    • Plumbing installations
    • Pumps
    • Radiator & values
    • Repairs
    • Stopcocks
    • Thermostat problems
    • Waste disposals
    • Water tank installs
    • Wet room refurbishment

I would set your charges around the above, should be on target for £60,000 by the end of the month

Thanks ecowarm, I can now set my prices accordingly :p

charges
Mon-Friday
7am-6pm
Mon-Friday
6pm-12am
Saturday
7am-12am
Sunday
7am-12am
Mon-Sunday
12am-7am
are per hour
£80
£130
£130
£140
£200
    • Airlocks
    • Ball values
    • Bathroom refurbishment
    • Bidets
    • Burst pipes
    • Floods
    • Gutters & downpipes
    • Hot water problems
    • Immersion heaters
    • Kitchen refurbishment
    • Leaks
    • Overflows
    • Pipework replacement
    • Plumbing installations
    • Pumps
    • Radiator & values
    • Repairs
    • Stopcocks
    • Thermostat problems
    • Waste disposals
    • Water tank installs
    • Wet room refurbishment
above prices are far too cheap, will never become billionare at those rates

Last edited:
you would never have any work in this area if you charged those rates. god wished i could lol

Those rates are pimlico plumbers rates if they can get away with it why cant everyone else!

If you have the customer that will pay top rates you can charge that. I dont ;(

Thanks for all the useful feedback. Trust me I'm not at all cocky. I know this post appears that way but I also know this is the place you can throw these questions out and get some sensible answers. No I'm definately not cocky....a bit ambitious maybe but its either that or carry on working a rubbish job forever and earn not much and never take an ounce of pride in my work. Thanks again guys

Thanks for all the useful feedback. Trust me I'm not at all cocky. I know this post appears that way but I also know this is the place you can throw these questions out and get some sensible answers. No I'm definately not cocky....a bit ambitious maybe but its either that or carry on working a rubbish job forever and earn not much and never take an ounce of pride in my work. Thanks again guys

Just cuz you work for someone else, does not mean you cant take pride in your work!!! The people you work for with your employer may be one of your own customers one day! Thats not likely tho if you dont take pride in your work.

So you're going to hoover up all the work we can't be bothered to chase and set the plumbing world alight but only after we've told you how much we charge? That's a classic lolGood luck.
Ha ha not at all matey. I'm just trying to build a picture for myself. I'm not trying to ask how much you earn, just how to break down the process of how to charge customers without being too greedy or too generous. and as for my rant, I've just had enough of people trying to put me down before I've even started a career. The worlds always going to be a tough place, I don't need pesimists to tell me that. I'm not going to lose sight of my goals but I'm not naïve either.

Just cuz you work for someone else, does not mean you cant take pride in your work!!! The people you work for with your employer may be one of your own customers one day! Thats not likely tho if you dont take pride in your work.
Your dead right mate. I'm a supervisor in retail at the minute and its killing me slowly, but it is a job and for the time being its just about paying the bills but its not what I want to do. And as for the potential customers, I've already got a few lined up from my current work. I give a very good level of customer service and it does pay off. I'd just rather be giving that level of customer service as a plumber

When you get into Plumbing you will just be paying the bills too, Building trade is at rock bottom, if you have got a steddy job, with long term employment, pension ect you would be better off sticking to it, forget working for your self, within the next 10 years the small Co will be squeezed out ,with costs and paperwork, the days of the sole trader are numberd, Glad ill be out of it soon !! But best of luck youll need it,

When you get into Plumbing you will just be paying the bills too, Building trade is at rock bottom, if you have got a steddy job, with long term employment, pension ect you would be better off sticking to it, forget working for your self, within the next 10 years the small Co will be squeezed out ,with costs and paperwork, the days of the sole trader are numberd, Glad ill be out of it soon !! But best of luck youll need it,
Thanks, I know I may need the luck to get off the ground. My job is not very secure at all mate, find me a job that is

Hi, i know of a plumber who was asked by a independant builder for a price to fit the loo in a house, he quoted £120, he gave it to another guy who charged him £50. The £50 made a few quid and the builder is happy and the plumber is now his regular "go-to" bloke for fast turnaround work. Price your jobs appropriate to your customer

Geez... make my day mate eh?

Its funny, we're all so secretive about our hourly rates etc. If you want mine, all you need to do is call me and I have to tell you it!!

For anyone who's bothered, it's £50 for the first hour (regardless of whether I'm there 5 minutes or 60). Its then £25 per half hour. I charge more for the initial hour if there is considerable travel involved (Kent and Sussex is a big area).

I charge by the hour for smaller jobs. I'm not the fastest plumber in the world. I hate rushing. I would rather ensure the job gets done to my standards....which I think are high. I never take the pee out of some one. I won't charge Mrs Smith for the chat and cup of tea I had with her. I'll charge just for the time I was actually on the tools.

I do charge more for out of hours. I will get out of bed at 2am and come and fix your burst pipe, but I want extra money for that. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I don't charge for quotes. Which is a shame as I spend a lot of time on a quote. Ensuring I haven't missed anything, so there are no nasty suprises. I do charge for reports though. Which I do about 5 or 6 of a year for landlords and perspective buyers.

If I charged less, would I get more work. Maybe. But I'm not making fortunes. I put back so much of the money into training, insurance, tools, equipment. My ethos is to be a really reliable and competant tradesman that people can trust. That way they'll choose you over joe soap who may be a tenner cheaper but who's in it for the pay cheque not for the long term. It helps that I enjoy plumbing and aren't one of those misery guts who makes out like he's doing you a big favour by turning up.

Last edited:
Your figures are only for jobbing work I'm presuming Danny?

I imagine you've got a cheaper day rate.

I think the local plumbers who live next to this guy are in for some extra work.
So i guess its a good thing...

I think the local plumbers who live next to this guy are in for some extra work.
So i guess its a good thing...

If that is in reference to me, then I can assure you the local plumbers (gas or oil qualified) are all charging the same amount of money or if they're part of a local small firm they are going to be charging much more. I have two mates working for different firms (both employing around 8 men) and they charge £85 per hour.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. If I put my van in a gargage the mechanics will want around £50 an hour, and they only have to train once. I'm not going to say any more in defense of my rates. I'm plenty busy with lots of repeat business and referrals, so I don't have to.

I charge the same as Danny and am in roughly the same area. But I'm not gas safe, so I think he's very reasonably priced.

I've a friend who charges £60 for first hour for wet plumbing just the down the road and is very busy.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to see why people are secretive about their rates....as others may not like what they see..

My suggestion if you don't like the fact that someone charges more than you....then put your rates up!!

I'm modest by nature, but I know I'm a decent plumber, and I know what the going rate is around my area. So I charge the same as everyone else!

Sheesh!!

At the end of the day we all know whatr our overheads are and how much we want to earn and charge acordingly, some people think others are too expensive, others too cheap.

At the end of the day if people pay it and your happy with your lot then you're doing alright.

Do you reckon the guys off rouge traders that charge £800 to stick a hose down a drain that's not blocked sit around in the pub saying, '£1000 for the first hour? bit steep isn't it barry? mind you kev only charges £500 which is a disgrace"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to charging for jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock