Discuss charging for jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I charge the same as Danny and am in roughly the same area. But I'm not gas safe, so I think he's very reasonably priced.

I've a friend who charges £60 for first hour for wet plumbing just the down the road and is very busy.

Thanks guys. I'm starting to see why people are secretive about their rates....as others may not like what they see..

My suggestion if you don't like the fact that someone charges more than you....then put your rates up!!

I'm modest by nature, but I know I'm a decent plumber, and I know what the going rate is around my area. So I charge the same as everyone else!

Sheesh!!

At the end of the day we all know whatr our overheads are and how much we want to earn and charge acordingly, some people think others are too expensive, others too cheap.

At the end of the day if people pay it and your happy with your lot then you're doing alright.

Do you reckon the guys off rouge traders that charge £800 to stick a hose down a drain that's not blocked sit around in the pub saying, '£1000 for the first hour? bit steep isn't it barry? mind you kev only charges £500 which is a disgrace"

During the course of a year, any self-employed trades professional will need to recover _

Cost of van, fuel, depreciation, tyres, servicing, road tax, insurance, repairs, etc.
Cost of internet provider, phone line, mobile phone charges, website, etc.
Cost of accountant, employer's plus employee's NI, putting some money aside for holidays, sick, pension, etc.
Cost of stationery, cards, invoicing, advertising, etc.
Cost of 'unproductive' time, 'free' quotes, travelling, waiting in plumbing merchants, etc.
Interest on waiting for payment, non-payers, etc.

If you work all this out and divide it by the number of hours you actually get paid, it gives an idea of how much you need to add on to your 'rate' to make a reasonable living. No reasonable customer should object to any trades professional charging a decent rate. It annoys me when I hear people moaning about how much they had to pay for a decent job.

If that is in reference to me, then I can assure you the local plumbers (gas or oil qualified) are all charging the same amount of money or if they're part of a local small firm they are going to be charging much more. I have two mates working for different firms (both employing around 8 men) and they charge £85 per hour.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all. If I put my van in a gargage the mechanics will want around £50 an hour, and they only have to train once. I'm not going to say any more in defense of my rates. I'm plenty busy with lots of repeat business and referrals, so I don't have to.

I would say your rates are spot on mate. The people who are charging less have no clue how to run a business in my opinion, only how to keep busy.

Best one I had was the treasurer of a working mans club questioning why my labour was more expensive than the young girl behind the bar. Forum rules prevent me from telling everybody what I said, but it took me 10 minutes and he just stood there with his gob open. I enjoyed it but haven't worked in there again, been asked to quote but refused.

I think my thread has upset the apple cart. Thanks to everyone who was willing to give an honest answer. There are a lot of very helpful members of this forum

Best one I had was the treasurer of a working mans club questioning why my labour was more expensive than the young girl behind the bar. Forum rules prevent me from telling everybody what I said, but it took me 10 minutes and he just stood there with his gob open. I enjoyed it but haven't worked in there again, been asked to quote but refused.

That makes me seeth. I can just imagine the sanctimonous tone. Presumably he earns more than his bar girl!

I used to work in a bar. Took me about 2 hours training before I could be left alone. Plumbing is much harder. Takes 8 weeks.

That makes me seeth. I can just imagine the sanctimonous tone. Presumably he earns more than his bar girl!

I used to work in a bar. Took me about 2 hours training before I could be left alone. Plumbing is much harder. Takes 8 weeks.

8 , arent we posh

I reckon it costs me £50 per day that I work (training fees, subscription fees, diesel, insurances, van service, tools (replacement and depreciation), website, phone, using home as an office, etc, etc, etc.

If you're not sure what to charge here's a quick basic:

What do you want to earn? £24k?

£24000 / 48 weeks = £500 a week or £100 a day.

Add £50 costs for those days = charge £150 a day.

Small jobs? How many can you do in a day, including travel and nipping into the local merchant? Three? £150 / 3 = £50 per small job.

Calculations above are a bit rough and ready but if you turn things around and ask yourself how much you'd be happy being charged by a plumber to do a certain job then you know the sort of guide price.

I sometimes DO work for nothing.

And many days it feels like nothing too!

I reckon it costs me £50 per day that I work (training fees, subscription fees, diesel, insurances, van service, tools (replacement and depreciation), website, phone, using home as an office, etc, etc, etc.

If you're not sure what to charge here's a quick basic:

What do you want to earn? £24k?

£24000 / 48 weeks = £500 a week or £100 a day.

Add £50 costs for those days = charge £150 a day.

Small jobs? How many can you do in a day, including travel and nipping into the local merchant? Three? £150 / 3 = £50 per small job.

Calculations above are a bit rough and ready but if you turn things around and ask yourself how much you'd be happy being charged by a plumber to do a certain job then you know the sort of guide price.

Don't forget to factor in the other very realistic prospect of the days you don't have work. When you do this you can easily add on another £30 a day in running costs I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to charging for jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock